Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   General Rodding Tech (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/general-rodding-tech/)
-   -   Removing the steering wheel (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/removing-steering-wheel-212548.html)

Toto 01-15-2012 08:56 AM

Removing the steering wheel

1 Attachment(s)
I'm still taking the '37 Chevy apart,Moments away from separating the body from it's frame. I just need to remove the steering wheel... I've unbolted the central nut but the wheel won't come off. Do I need to do something else before this comes off???

boothboy 01-15-2012 10:40 AM

Are there two threaded holes with the steering shaft between them? If so go get a simple steering wheel puller from youd auto parts store. Shouldn't be to costly.

MARTINSR 01-15-2012 11:08 AM

Before you run off for a steering wheel puller you can do the old wriggle and pull up on the wheel like a mad man trick. :D Of course when you do this you want the nut on the shaft so the wheel doesn't come off as you are pulling with all your might and smacking you in the face, been there, done that. :drunk:

Of course this means the nut has to be backed off leaving you some room for the wheel to come up on the shaft. If you unscrew it up until the top of the nut is flush with the top of the shaft you can have someone gently tap on the top of the shaft WHILE you are pulling up wriggling the wheel from side to side grunting like a you are trying to pull the sword from the stone at Disneyland. :)

Of course you have to be careful not to hit to hard or you will mushroom the top of the shaft or screw up the nut. You also have to be careful with an old steering wheel not to wriggle it too much twisting and cracking it.

I have pulled many wheels off this way, but not all of them. Sometimes (like on my Rambler) there aren't bolt holes to pull it off with a regular puller and a special puller (Rambler only) was needed. I did this trick all by my self and the wheel came right off after being there 50 years. :thumbup:

Brian

MARTINSR 01-15-2012 11:11 AM

Oh yeah, and I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend you pull the steering box out before trying to pull the body up over the column. I am not clear on if that is what you had in mind and I have seen guys do that (pull the body up over the column) and it is a LOT easier and safer to pull the steering box out first.

Brian

Toto 01-15-2012 11:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
well this is the actual situation (see pic)
As I read yours reply correctly, the steering wheel should come off
when I gently pull (and wigle) on it?
Let try that, I'll post you guy's the result...

MARTINSR 01-15-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toto
well this is the actual situation (see pic)
As I read yours reply correctly, the steering wheel should come off
when I gently pull (and wigle) on it?
Let try that, I'll post you guy's the result...

Did I ever say "gently"? I am talking grunting like you are trying to pull a 390 Ford intake off! We are talking it takes WAY more than "gently" pulling. I used the word "gently" when describing tapping on the top of the shaft with a hammer while someone is pulling up on the wheel like they were pushing out a 9lb kid from their birth cannel.

We are talking pulling and wriggling enough to break the wheel, that's why I said to be careful of that.

Brian

boothboy 01-15-2012 12:43 PM

If you are going to hit the end of the steering shaft, use a brass or lead hammer.

MARTINSR 01-15-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boothboy
If you are going to hit the end of the steering shaft, use a brass or lead hammer.

God advice there booth. :thumbup:

Brian

Toto 01-15-2012 01:04 PM

You guy's are making me a bit scary!?!
I hope I don't damage te wheel.
wish me luck!!!!

T-bucket23 01-15-2012 02:09 PM

Looks like there are holes there for a puller. They are cheap and will avoid damage and injury. You can probably borrow one at Autozone

MARTINSR 01-15-2012 02:27 PM

Chet is right, most auto parts stores loan them, do that before you break the wheel. :pain:

Brian

matts37chev 01-15-2012 05:05 PM

I never could get mine off
I gave up trying :mad:

let us know how it goes :D

matts37chev 01-15-2012 05:22 PM

I would love to see some pics of your car :welcome:

maybe when you get some extra time you could post pics here, in this 37 & 38 chevy thread I started :thumbup:

let us know how that steering wheel goes :D

Toto 01-15-2012 08:48 PM

I'm building this car for the owner. He want's to keep a low profile and don't want me to post any pics of the car as long as it isn't finished. So for the next month's, the only pics I'm allowed to show are those I will share regarding a technical problem or question. It's a shame, I would have loved to share the build with you guys. On the other hand, I'll soon start the build of a new rolling chassis for my '30 Peugeot. Watch can watch this build on my thread here.

matts37chev 01-15-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matts37chev
I would love to see some pics of your car :welcome:

maybe when you get some extra time you could post pics here, in this 37 & 38 chevy thread I started :thumbup:

let us know how that steering wheel goes :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toto
I'm building this car for the owner. He want's to keep a low profile and don't want me to post any pics of the car as long as it isn't finished. So for the next month's, the only pics I'm allowed to show are those I will share regarding a technical problem or question.

well, thats a bummer :(

if you find something while building the car for him, that is interesting, technical or trivial, feel free to post the info in that thread, (no pics. required) :thumbup: