Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Removing surface rust from the floor of a daily driver
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 10:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Removing surface rust from the floor of a daily driver

My Pinto has a light coat of surface rust under most of the bottom of the car. I don't have time or space to tear the car apart. Media blasting does not seem to be the way to go - it'll get caught everywhere. Abrasive methods won't work in a lot of areas. What rust removal chemicals are my best option? I've got 3 or 4 weeks where I can do this in my spare time indoors, with the car jacked up. Unfortunately I can't flip it over or anything, so I need something that will work from underneath.

I've been looking at:
Enviro-Safe Rust Remover
Mastercoat Rust Remover
Rust-B-Gone
Rust Release SuperGel
Ospho
and naval jelly

What's the best option? By best in this case I mean the quickest/easiest that will properly remove the rust. I don't mind scrubbing with a scotch brite pad and Ospho or something like that. I want to get rid of as much surface rust as possible and use epoxy over it. Also wondering what I should do to prevent the frame rails from rusting inside as they're mostly closed (but with vent holes and such) and attached to the bottom of the floor, same with other areas I can't reach. If I can't kill the rust in some spots yet, I'd like to at least keep it from spreading until I can properly fix it.

I made a thread before about rust converters, but from what I know now I really want to avoid them and just eliminate the rust.

Last edited by John68040; 12-24-2011 at 10:58 PM.