Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Removing surface rust from the floor of a daily driver (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/removing-surface-rust-floor-daily-driver-210925.html)

John68040 12-24-2011 09:51 PM

Removing surface rust from the floor of a daily driver

My Pinto has a light coat of surface rust under most of the bottom of the car. I don't have time or space to tear the car apart. Media blasting does not seem to be the way to go - it'll get caught everywhere. Abrasive methods won't work in a lot of areas. What rust removal chemicals are my best option? I've got 3 or 4 weeks where I can do this in my spare time indoors, with the car jacked up. Unfortunately I can't flip it over or anything, so I need something that will work from underneath.

I've been looking at:
Enviro-Safe Rust Remover
Mastercoat Rust Remover
Rust-B-Gone
Rust Release SuperGel
Ospho
and naval jelly

What's the best option? By best in this case I mean the quickest/easiest that will properly remove the rust. I don't mind scrubbing with a scotch brite pad and Ospho or something like that. I want to get rid of as much surface rust as possible and use epoxy over it. Also wondering what I should do to prevent the frame rails from rusting inside as they're mostly closed (but with vent holes and such) and attached to the bottom of the floor, same with other areas I can't reach. If I can't kill the rust in some spots yet, I'd like to at least keep it from spreading until I can properly fix it.

I made a thread before about rust converters, but from what I know now I really want to avoid them and just eliminate the rust.

delawarebill 12-25-2011 07:31 AM

rust remover

one of the sat car shows does an Ad on "restore".. i loooked it up and its like $40/gal... wow now that i'd thinking of this i'm hoping i got the name right.... CRS....

DanielC 12-25-2011 10:38 AM

"one of the sat car shows does an Ad on "restore".. i loooked it up and its like $40/gal... wow"

How do you think those Saturday morning cars shows make money.

There are many rust removal threads in the Hotrodders forums. There are no easy fixes. You can do it fairly economically, but you have to put in lots of time, and elbow grease.

John68040 12-27-2011 05:56 PM

I'm expecting to put in time and effort. I'm just trying to figure out whether I should go with phosphoric acid or the non-acidic rust removers. And I want to hear from anyone who has done it under a car - some of the rust removers need to soak in and are liquid, this have to be used on horizontal or slanted surfaces. There was Rust Bomb that was a thick gel, but it's not produced anymore. Is there anything similar to it available, or should I just scrub with Ospho til I get bare metal?