Hot Rod Forum banner

removing welded brackets

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  bentwings 
#1 ·
This isn't for a car, just trying to help my grandfather out.

He bought this lawn tractor 3-4 years ago and it's nice but it's pretty much NLA as far as parts go ( it's an older Bolens ).. He hit a cable last year and destroyed a mandrel/ spindle which is NLA. I didn't get to look at it till recently and the grass is starting to grow too.:pain: The only fix for this is a new used spindle/ mandrel IF I can find one... So I noticed everything bolted on the deck except the front hanger, so I can make another deck work, and grabbed a $25 MTD deck out of a mower junkyard that fit my measurements.. That's where I'm at..

I have to cut the wheel brackets off and the flat plate at the rear so I can replace it with a wider one.. I've cut the welds on the plate but it still seems like it's still welded in place. I have not tried the cold chisel yet, but I don't want to damage the deck.. what is the best way? I've done axle brackets on rear ends but those are easier than this thing

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
We do similar stuff in the trailer shop. I gave up trying to be super neat on this
Stuff. It just takes too long. It's amazing how strong a good weld can be even with 99% of it cut away. I just take the plasma and cut the brackets off as closely as I can. Then plasma the rest down to where I can finish grind it smooth.

Be careful of the old grass on the back side....it does burn rather easily.

#3 ·
Somehow, this deck was grass free. I ended up just being not neat about it. Cut them where I could and ground the rest or beat the bracket off with a hammer if little weld was left.. Smashed my nose with the hammer when I missed too. That woke me up. I was wearing safety glasses tho.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.