repaint - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2002, 11:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post repaint

i have a 66 malibu that i want to repaint one shade of red darker can i just repaint over the paint thats on there now or do i have to strip all the paint off

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2002, 11:26 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

corenel, depends on the condition of the exsisting paint and how much bodywork you need. If the exsisting paint is good/fair condition with little or no bodywork or you just don't plan to do any all yu need to do is scuff up the exsisting paint, prime and paint. If their is bodywork to be done its best to strip the paint to at least the first layer or primer layer. If the car has been painted multiple times before it may have to many layers of paint to not strip at least one or two. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

HK
Old 10-04-2002, 12:11 AM

Last photo:

someone did paint it before i got my hands on it. the paint is terrible runs,and glossy spots and spots where there is primmer showing,and some areas that i thought they were rust that was just painted over but when i sanded some of these areas it looks like there air bubbles or bad paint body is straight exept for the back panel my lug nuts snaped off then the tire went bouncing everywhere and dented the panel..do i need to sand the whole car then reprimer if so how much sanding and primer
Old 10-04-2002, 01:00 AM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

From what it sounds like you'd be better off stripping in down to the first coat of primer, doing the bodywork and dealing with the rust then sealing the body with a good sealer, or just a coat of primer then emediatly paint it. Due to the condition of the paint and thee presence of rust stripping to repair would be best. There will be alot of sanding, hard work and you should get a gallon of sealer/primer because perfect bodywork will take a try or 6.

HK
Old 10-15-2002, 01:16 PM

I paint cars everyday. don't stop at the first coat of primer. I strip to metal, somtimes with aircraft stripper on the hoods and deck because I can easily take them off...it is quite messy, and you must protect yourself from it. other places and times I use an 8 in 2500 rpm polisher with 36 grit, after it is bare metal, polish it back with 180 220 on a da machine. NOW you are ready for 2k primer sealer. Make sure it is primer-sealer not just primer. Some schools say eching primer over bare metal, but not mine.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

[quote]Originally posted by Halloweenking:
<strong> because perfect bodywork will take a try or 6.

HK</strong><hr></blockquote>

Damed, I must suck. Sometimes it takes me a dozen times of filling sanding a priming to get it right. Maybe it just seems like that many times...

Point is, I hope you have a lot of time and patience, because without both it will be hard to finish.

I find it a bit tough to stop at the first coat of primer when stripping. If the paint is very thick, it either takes days to remove with fine paper, or some 36 grit. I usually opt for the 36 and just go all the way through and then give it a coat of epoxy primer and then a heavy filler primer. Then wet sand untill you start seeing the epoxy coat. Usually by then all the small scratches from the 36 ar filled. If you have to do body work, do it before priming.

chris

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.