Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Repainting A Boat
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 08:52 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Very timely question S10. I'm considering a new paint job on my bass boat/ski boat (pictured below), so I've been having many of your same concerns. Not to divert your thread too far, but I have a couple of additional questions.

I'm thinking of just painting the top of the boat (the area above the belt line/bumper strip). My boat stays in the water, at our dock, all summer long. But since I am only painting the area which is out of the water, can I use an automotive paint or is there a better alternative among the products which have been suggested for S-10? Keep in mind, this boat sits out in pretty harsh conditions in terms of sun (UV bombardment) and rain.

Also, I'm assuming I will leave the engine and all the associated mechanical gear installed and just mask it off to paint around it. Is that acceptable practice or should I really consider pulling the 135 Merc off the boat completely?

Any other general things I should be aware of when painting a boat vs painting a car?