Repainting A Boat - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2010, 07:29 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Repainting A Boat

I have a 1977 Mantra Jet Boat that needs a makeover. I have owned this boat for about 10 years and it has a BBC 396. I haven't had the boat in the water for about 3 years now because we bought a sea doo and the boat has just been neglected. I am wanting to get it ready for next year and have some painting questions. First question is, how would I go about painting the bottom? Do the boat shops support the boat on a frame and do all the work from underneath or do they turn the boat up side down and work on it from the top? How would I go about turning it over without causing more damage? Second question is, do I need to use a gel coat paint on it or can I use an automotive paint? What would you experienced people suggest? I don't have the money to have it painted so I would be doing the work myself and I enjoy it anyways. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

On a jet boat it is a lot easier to remove all the rigging as trying to work around the engine, jet drive and all the lites is a real pain. Make a padded sling and turn the boat upside down and do the bottom then turn it right side up for the topsides..Automotive paint works just fine..

Sam
Old 09-30-2010, 08:53 PM

Do a search for "Awl-Grip"; it's a specialized boat paint
that's recognized as being the best. It's applied with the
roll and tip method using a paint roller and brush, with the
hull supported on a framework. You can also spray it.

If the boat will be staying in the water for an extended time,
you'll want a paint with a biocide in it, at least for the hull.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:01 PM

Most paints like BC/CCs and linear polyurethanes such as Awlgrip, Imron, Sterling and others are not for constant immersion. It seems most people can put their boats in the water for up to several days without problems but it is not what it stated on the can.
You could go with a regular marine bottom paint such as Petit's Vivid if the boat will be kept in the water for an extended time. Their colors looks sharp and it can stay on a trailered boat indefinitely.
The third option is to re-gelcoat it which most people advise against because of the labor to smooth it out (it is hard to spray it without serious orange peel) though it has been done.
So the bottom line is if you are looking for the best finish and the boat will not be stored in the water, go with an automotive urethane or a linear polyurethane.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:54 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the replies all. The boat will not be kept in the water except for maybe overnight. I usually put it back on the trailer after everyday use.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:52 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Very timely question S10. I'm considering a new paint job on my bass boat/ski boat (pictured below), so I've been having many of your same concerns. Not to divert your thread too far, but I have a couple of additional questions.

I'm thinking of just painting the top of the boat (the area above the belt line/bumper strip). My boat stays in the water, at our dock, all summer long. But since I am only painting the area which is out of the water, can I use an automotive paint or is there a better alternative among the products which have been suggested for S-10? Keep in mind, this boat sits out in pretty harsh conditions in terms of sun (UV bombardment) and rain.

Also, I'm assuming I will leave the engine and all the associated mechanical gear installed and just mask it off to paint around it. Is that acceptable practice or should I really consider pulling the 135 Merc off the boat completely?

Any other general things I should be aware of when painting a boat vs painting a car?

Old 10-01-2010, 08:12 AM

Last photo:

Any of the non epoxy based paints, that are made for under water, will work pretty good, rule of thumb is use non-epoxy type paints below water line if bot is not going to be in water more then three months at a time, although most paint would go six months without a problem, if you are using a good grade.

Another general rule of thumb is if that boat goes 80 or faster, best to have an SS below the water line, this is just a general rule that has been used for years.

Two of the best, since Imron is no longer imron, is the glasuit HD SS or the PPG Concept, a little more money then some that were mentioned but worth it if boat will get any abuse.

The best of the best was Durathane (ppg) but I'm not sure its even made anymore.

Above water base clear is great and will last longer.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

If I were to paint those boats S10 would get a top shelf Single Stage on the bottom up to the waterline and then a base clear on the topsides in his choice of color or colors.

On Deweys his gets a marine bottom paint as his stays in the water all summer and his topsides would get a top shelf base clear on the topsides.

On both boats I have become partial to using a spray in bedliner material in the interior areas and then shooting a semigloss non glare material to cover the black bedliner. Too bad bedliner is not available in a marine gray for the boat guys.

Always I remove every item that is easily removed as one will find out just how difficult it is to mask and sand around all the hardware found on a boat. Seems like a lot of work to pull the motor and out drive unit, docking gear, windshield, guages, controlls and all that but once one starts masking and sanding and prepping around all that stuff one realizes the wisdom of just taking it all out of the way..

As usual just my opinion and your results may vary..

Sam
Old 10-01-2010, 03:59 PM

Last photo:

Thats all great info and I appreciate it. My boat is very low profile and the water line is only about 6-8" below the transom sitting still so to make the job easier, I would probably paint the top with the same paint as the bottom. My boat don't have dock bumpers so there's really no stopping place to change paints anyways. So, from what I'm reading, it's better to use a non-epoxy paint on the bottom? Can you explain why this is? I would have thought that epoxy was the next best thing to gel coat but I don't know, I'm asking. You guys have more experience than I do with this so I'm willing to listen, just explain.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:07 PM

Last photo:

Not talking about epoxy but paints made out of epoxy for bottom paint, two different things.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:40 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Thanks Barry and Sam.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer
I have a 1977 Mantra Jet Boat that needs a makeover.

Have witnessed some amazing results with Interlux Perfection rolled and tipped on the topsides. The prep work directions on the can is most of the work. Have not witnessed but have heard it once that to touch up spots on the finish if you get a scratch is a bear.

Graphite mixed with epoxy on the boat bottom gives great abrasionn resistance; comes out black though. Or copper powder mixed with epoxy for antifoul and that classic gold/copper colored bottom.

If your up on blocks it's easy to just move a set of blocks and paint that area of the bottom.

Sounds like a great boat. Best of luck with the outcome. Hey ! No pictures. You should know you gotta post pictures.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer
Thats all great info and I appreciate it. My boat is very low profile and the water line is only about 6-8" below the transom sitting still so to make the job easier, I would probably paint the top with the same paint as the bottom. My boat don't have dock bumpers so there's really no stopping place to change paints anyways. So, from what I'm reading, it's better to use a non-epoxy paint on the bottom? Can you explain why this is? I would have thought that epoxy was the next best thing to gel coat but I don't know, I'm asking. You guys have more experience than I do with this so I'm willing to listen, just explain.

I guess you would have the boat in the water and mark the waterline. Remove the boat from the water. When painting the bottom bring the color an inch or two or three above the waterline mark. A bootstripe if you want.

On the epoxy bottom paint, there is what is called an epoxy barrier coat that is applied over the bare fiberglass(polyester resin) to help prevent osmosis through the fiberglass hull. Many times this barrier coat is used after blisters in the fiberglass boat bottom have been repaired and also for added protection. Then the barrier coat is overcoated with bottom paint.

But yours, S10, will stay mostly on the trailer so an epoxy barrier coat is not necessary.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:11 AM

Last photo:

ok I have painted MANY jet boats just finish the bottom on this one yesterday, blueprinted the bottom speed coat added,

I painted my boat 8yrs ago and have been in the water every weekend, and it does well over 80 mph with no problems with paint failure, if you need any pointers or advise PM me, I don't wanna step on no toes here..
Old 10-10-2010, 08:20 AM

Last photo:

this is my boat , bought it in a boat junk yard in '02 in '04 it was in hot boat mag.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.