Hot Rod Forum banner

Repainting over a spray can paint job

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  69 widetrack 
#1 ·
Is the spray paint going to cause a problem with REAL auto paint sticking to a vehicle? I am trading an F150 for a Bronco but the bronco has been painted with spray cans. It looks good in pictures, haven't seen it in person yet. But I was just wondering if id have to get all that old spray paint off if I was to repaint it, or if i could just have it sanded down and painted the way it is.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If that spray paint ever decides to lift, then so does everything on top of it, regardless of how well you sanded it. And if they used spray paint I'm doubting what they have beneath it is of any better quality. In other words, given this, and the fact that spray paint has low durability anyways, I'd think you would be risking a lot to put expensive auto paint + your time over an existing spray can paint job.

The other thing is the UV has probably killed the rattle can paint by now anyways.

#5 ·
Rattle can spray paint doesn't have a catalyst in it...Hardner...without hardner there is a very good chance that whatever you put over top will wrinkle because automotive paints and primers have aggressive solvents in then to aid in the chemical adhesion process and these aggressive solvents will attack a non catalyzed substrate...if it doesn't wrinkle it is still a very week substrate and putting anything over top is a waste of time and money.

Your best bet is to remove the paint...then you need to figure out if the cost of having the new vehicle repainted is worth the investment.

Hope this helps.

Ray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.