Repainting over a spray can paint job - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2013, 09:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Repainting over a spray can paint job

Is the spray paint going to cause a problem with REAL auto paint sticking to a vehicle? I am trading an F150 for a Bronco but the bronco has been painted with spray cans. It looks good in pictures, haven't seen it in person yet. But I was just wondering if id have to get all that old spray paint off if I was to repaint it, or if i could just have it sanded down and painted the way it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bronco1.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	76016  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013, 09:23 PM

Last photo:

If that spray paint ever decides to lift, then so does everything on top of it, regardless of how well you sanded it. And if they used spray paint I'm doubting what they have beneath it is of any better quality. In other words, given this, and the fact that spray paint has low durability anyways, I'd think you would be risking a lot to put expensive auto paint + your time over an existing spray can paint job.

The other thing is the UV has probably killed the rattle can paint by now anyways.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:27 PM

Last photo:

The truck is just recently been spray painted. But it sounds to me like i should remove the spray can paint, or have the truck media blasted (like ground up walnut shells).
Old 07-26-2013, 10:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer View Post
If that spray paint ever decides to lift, then so does everything on top of it, regardless of how well you sanded it. And if they used spray paint I'm doubting what they have beneath it is of any better quality. In other words, given this, and the fact that spray paint has low durability anyways, I'd think you would be risking a lot to put expensive auto paint + your time over an existing spray can paint job.

The other thing is the UV has probably killed the rattle can paint by now anyways.
For what its worth, listen to this very good advice that has been given.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:41 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Rattle can spray paint doesn't have a catalyst in it...Hardner...without hardner there is a very good chance that whatever you put over top will wrinkle because automotive paints and primers have aggressive solvents in then to aid in the chemical adhesion process and these aggressive solvents will attack a non catalyzed substrate...if it doesn't wrinkle it is still a very week substrate and putting anything over top is a waste of time and money.

Your best bet is to remove the paint...then you need to figure out if the cost of having the new vehicle repainted is worth the investment.

Hope this helps.

Ray

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.