Repair dilemma on an Acura Legend - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2003, 01:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Repair dilemma on an Acura Legend

My dialy driver a 93 Acura Legend, 3.2L V-6 w/ 135,000 miles that I have owned for over 8 years and has developed a smoking habit.

Now before you guy's go off and tell me rice burners aren't worth a ****, I want you to know this car has been the best car I have EVER owned and I want to keep it going.

I have done some preliminary investigation into the oil burning problem and have reduced it to one or more failing valve seals. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on a back yard mechanic doing some engine work on this type of vehicle? Are valve seals something that can be replaced on this type of engine w/o pulling the heads?

OK I'm ready for some of your humor, but I'm really interested in some good advice too.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2003, 01:55 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

this is a no brainer. "NEW" 40K engine from japan: $450. all day long! if you have to have someone put it in you can find someone to do it for $400. peice of cake!
Old 09-22-2003, 02:33 PM

Last photo:

You'll have to pull the valve cover and check out the clearance around the springs, there is a spring compressor tool for overhead valves but some don't have enough clearance away from the cam! I'm not sure if the valves are cam driven or rockers?
Old 09-23-2003, 12:19 PM

From your comments Wrencher, I think you are saying the valve seals may be replaceable without removing the heads and overhead cams. Investing in a few tools is not a problem if that repair method is possible. I spoke to an Acura dealer about having them do the job and he quoted me a figure of $2,400. I priced out the replacement parts and the valve seals would cost $24 and the gasket package would cost another $35. Almost 2/3 of the cost is labor and the balance is to refresh the heads and valves. I should have been a mechanic and made the big bucks. If the repair can be accomplished without removing the heads, even if I had to remove the cams would be something I think I could handle.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:50 PM

Last photo:

Big what?

He's not getting the big bucks, that would be the dealer! 2400 sounds a little steep, but they probably are removing the head and having it reworked, still steep, But if you can remove the valve cover and take a peek at the springs, you will need to get to at least 1/2 of the diameter to get the spring compressor on, and you will need to apply air pressure into the spark plug hole to hold the valves up while the spring is removed, the tool looks like a glorified battery cable puller, 2 jaws and a screw in the middle. Happy Hunting

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.