Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Repair a leaky steering box

6K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  jimfulco 
#1 ·
Hey All,

I put a 1975 Chevy pick up power steering box in my 1955 2nd series pick up. The steering box is leaking out the front of the box where the steering shaft goes in. Is it possible to repair this? If so does it require special tools? Or should I just go get a rebuilt box?
Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
They are repairable, Go to your local parts supply store and find the parts before you tear yours apart. After the proper parts are secured, remove the Pitman arm and leave the retaining nut off, put a catch pan under the steering gear and start the engine. (this will make a mess) Turn the steering wheel all the way to the stop and if the seal did not pop out give it a few sharp hits against the stop and the old seal should pop out. Then clean everything up. Install the new seal and reverse the order of removal for installation. Don't forget to set the steering wheel to the straight ahead position and mark the steering shaft to the Pitman arm location prior to disassembly. I use a hammer and a punch to mark these parts. I hope this helps if you have any other questions feel free to ask. P.S. you must have P/S fluid in it for this to work.

Steve :welcome:

#3 ·
gator412 said:
The steering box is leaking out the front of the box where the steering shaft goes in.
You mean the back of the box where the rag joint is (the steering shaft seal)?

If that is the one you can replace just that seal without having to mess with any of the adjustments. It is just held in with a snap ring. There are 2 seals in there and the 2nd one might be hard to get out but it can be done. I would go that ruite before I tore into the whole box (I should take my own advice sometimes :mad: ).

#6 ·
Waiting and watching for the results.
My 78 just started to take fluid also and it is coming from the rag joint end.
I guess I should call Chevy and complain that this seal only lasted me 30 years!!
Now if I could just get the rear brakes to last more than 12 years!!

#7 ·
Guys I know this will sound hokey but lucas makes a powersteering stop leak that flat works.We had a bus at work E450 powerstroke with a bad leak at the pump front seal and no time to change the pump so i tried it out of desperation.The leak stopped in 30 seconds after starting and has never returned.Try it it has a money back garantee if it does not work you are not out anything.

#8 ·
barnym17 said:
Guys I know this will sound hokey but lucas makes a powersteering stop leak that flat works.We had a bus at work E450 powerstroke with a bad leak at the pump front seal and no time to change the pump so i tried it out of desperation.The leak stopped in 30 seconds after starting and has never returned.Try it it has a money back garantee if it does not work you are not out anything.

As I remember a old used car lot trick from my younger days, put a cap full of brake fluid in the pump it will swellup the seals to get it off the lot. 10 feet or 10 days gaurentees up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.