Hot Rod Forum banner

Repair or restore foam filled armrests that have been spray painted

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  DanTwoLakes 
#1 ·
Good morning ladies and gents,

I have a strange dilemma.

Someone had cobbled a couple of parts on my bone stock 1950 Studebaker Champion Regal Deluxe in the past.

I have been looking but have not found replacement OEM arm rests anywhere.

My arm rests are all well worn but have been crudely repaired by spraying several coats of silver paint on them.

Is there a repair for this?

If not do you have any experience based suggestions?

Semper Fi,
ret_Marine2003

#2 ·
What exactly is left of the armrests? Is the silver paint on the foam from the armrests or is there still fabric over the top of the foam? Would it be possible to post a picture?

#3 ·
Good afternoon Dan.

There is old cracked vinyl covering the arm rests under the paint.

Whoever painted the armrests had taken the armrests off first, painted them; and then reinstalled them. The door panels do not have any paint on them.

The paint is old and thick.

I do not think it would be possible to remove the paint and keep the vinyl material under the arm rest in tact.

I am waiting on new CD-RW disks before I can post pictures.

(Sony Mavicam camera is all I have and was outdated as soon as I purchased it. It works good, so I keep it despite the annoyance with the disks.)

I suppose in hindsight this is typical damage.

At some point a child of the sixties probably owned this car and came up with the silver arm rest idea when the car was painted black over the original blue-green color.

#4 ·
You are in luck if the original vinyl is still on the armrests. Your armrests should come apart somehow, and once you have the armrest apart, you can take the old vinyl off and replace it. I can give you a better answer if you can post some pictures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.