Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - repairing fiberglass hood
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 06:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ok so I stripped this hood this weekend. 80grit on the DA down to the SMC. As I feared, there are stress cracks in multiple areas. The worst of them I plan on repairing by thinning the SMC in an area around the damage and laying 2 layers of 1.5oz matt using the SMC resin over the surface as a patch, then filling with the recommended fibertech filler.

What is concerning me however is that there were many more stress cracks in the painted surface than show in the SMC now that its stripped. Is it possible that the paint cracked but the SMC surface didnt? Or, might there be invisible microcracks in the SMC that will telegraph back through the paint as it cures? A possible solution that came to me is possibly repairing the broken areas and then laying one continuous layer of 1.5oz matt over the entire hood to hold down any tiny cracks. I've been told that the SMC resin does not wet out the matt well, so I'm concerned that laying a large piece of matt might be impossible with that material (not to metion the 45$ a quart price) Would it be feasable to use standard polyester resin if I'm laminating the whole hood? Input?