Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - repairing fiberglass hood
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 10:41 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

JPPadula,
"This leads to another question. I've always heard that you shouldnt use fiberglass cloth under finish coats due to the texture of the cloth printing through after time. Is there a special primer that will hold the texture down? I'm under the impression that polyester primers (what I was planning on using to hold down the repairs)"

If you go to a boat repair supply house, ask them for a fiberglass cloth/matting called 'veiling', a super fine cloth on one side, a fine matting on the reverse, works perfectly for what you are doing to your hood. It's NOT cheap but the labor savings and finished product more than make-up for the cost.

Get a piece large enough to cover the hood + overhang on 4 sides.

Wet out the hood and place the piece (matting down) starting in the center and work out from there. The dry matting will release any air bubbles thru itself, it's also MUCH cleaner and easier this way

Re-wet the matting from the center out.

Real marine gel-coat works much better than any polyester filler/primer can hope for. Ask for and follow the instructions from the supplier.

Have fun with it.