Repairing fibreglass panels. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2006, 06:47 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Repairing fibreglass panels.

The fibreglass hood and sidepanels on one of my farm tractors has nicks and scratches that I would like to fix then repaint.Nicks are on corner edges that have been bumped and chipped the gelcoat out exposing glass threads.There are no cracks or tears to fix, just these nicks to fix, and maybe an edge to reshape that has the outer layer bumped off.To fix them would you use evercoat rage after cleaning out the spots with a coarse sandpaper? I'm wondering about adhesion and thickness of the filler in a reletively small spot,maybe dime to quarter size.These spots are to small to put a glass patch on the top, and underside is sound. Thanks for any ideas Jim.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

On something like that I sand out those nicks with some 60 or 80 grit (feather out a bit) and use the kind of filler that has the glass strands in it..(not sure of the brands in Canada)..Minor nicks can get something like Marson Plantinum filler...get it back to shape then sand the whole thing inside and out with 80 grit and then epoxy prime for a first class job..then use a single stage paint for your top coat..

My industrial cusomers settle on a primer a putty or two and a couple of colors to match their equipment and this time of year they are making repairs and painting and getting ready for spring work..

Sam
Old 12-07-2006, 02:06 PM

Last photo:

reparing fiberglass panels

you may already have what you need. Use plain body filler, with some fiberglass mat mixed in it.( Not fiberglass cloth, use mat, shredded). The name brand for this is Tiger Hair
Old 12-07-2006, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the ideas.I have a bit of mat that could be mixed with my filler. What will this do? Make it stay attached to the area being filled better than just filler, cause the mat would make it stronger?I've never used glass embedded fillers before. If this was a metal panel, I would build the nick up with weld, then smooth with filler. Jim.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:29 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like you have minor fixes to do. I personally wouldn't use kitty hair or fiberglass type filler if it is still pretty sound. What I'd do is feather the areas out with around 80-180 grit, depending on what it takes, put some epoxy on to seal and take place of the missing gelcoat and then fill with a spot putty or regular bodyfiller. Doesn't sound like you will need a real lot of fill, and what primer doesn't fill a coat of 2k spot filler will take care of. Once filler work is done, then apply some more coats of epoxy on top, or even the whole piece you will be painting. If you work your spot filler straight enough and don't leave course scratches, the epoxy may be the only primer you need. It is also possible that if you do a good job featheredging those spots out, some epoxy primer and 2k high build primer like polyester or urethane will be all you need with a round of blocking and repriming. If needed you can use spot putty on top of high build sparingly, if something didn't fill with primer or block out. I guess you would have to see as you do the repair what you need to use. I doubt you would really need to use fiberglass filler if things are minor as they sound. I like fiberglass filler, but it is hard to finish off nice and normally a thin coat of plastic filler is put on top for finishing off. I really don't think you need fiberglass filler for scrapes and nicks just cause you have some glass exposed. Epoxy will lock down the glass and prevent it from deteriorating though, and fillers work well over epoxy. I've used plastic filler right over glass without noticing problems, but epoxing priming the glass first and re epoxing over filler or the part to seal everything is probably the safest route to go. Sorry for the long reply, Its hard to tell if you will get by with just epoxying, with some high build or if you will need to body filler without seeing how its progressing. A polyester type primer though would really give a lot of build.
If you actually have a corner you have to rebuild though (like a chunk is taken off a corner), I would use fiberglass mat and resin to rebuild it, then reshape. Its the only thing that will be really strong enough for a corner that is gone and has to be remade. Fiberglass filler or bondo as an edge won't last long or stand up well to being bumped.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Many ways to skin this tractor as you see.
For the edge rebuild I personally would use some Evercoat Fiber Tech filler.
It is stranded and about the toughest/best body filler for this. Yes it's a tough sand and using a cheese grater type "file",Stanley shaper is one,to rough shape it while it is curing out will cut down on the sanding.
Using the real f'glass is an option too.
You would only need to know if it is fiberglass or SMC which is easy to tell. Fiberglass looks like,well,fiberglass when it's busted. Strands out the wazooo,SMC has fibers as well but since it's a pressure formed compacted type glass,the fibers are much smaller and there is more resin like material to the piece.The backside of the piece will have "circles" at various places from the mold as well as some embossing telling the parts type,date,etc. Difference is with the repair resin. SMC resin will work on either f'glass or SMC, Regular f'glass resin will NOT work on SMC.
Using finish putty like Evercoat Easy Sand or such will do great on the dings and scratchs. I'm doing my J.D. riding mower this winter and it is fairly beat up as well. It's SMC btw but no major breakage. I prefer to do my glass work first getting it real close,finish putty for the bad dings & scratchs then a couple of coats of polyprimer like Feather Fill G2 by Evercoat which will fill and level the body out enough for blocking then come in with the finishing putty for what the poly does not take care of or if you missed some then epoxy to seal it all up. After this is up to you. A sealer coat of epoxy and paint, 2K primer and paint....

Last edited by Bee4Me; 12-07-2006 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,082 Times in 965 Posts
If there is nothing structural just filling large chips into the glass, I say stick with a non long fiber filler like Everglass. It is MUCH easier to work with and will do everything you need.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.