Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Repairing an Ingersoll-Rand Compressor
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 03:13 PM

Last journal entry: A little help is a great thing
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28 View Post
Ingersoll Rand compressors are Chinese pieces of junk and as such "are not economically repairable". Ingersoll Rand should be ashamed to put their name on them. I put them on the same level as Campbell Hausfeld. There is a reason the last tenant left that POS when they left, it is not worth moving.
Vince
I see. I understand what you'e saying.

Given that the electric motor and tank are in OK shape and my total investment to date is US$0 and I should be capable of repairing the pump myself (assuming it is not damaged beyond repair), "Not Economically Repairable" may not apply in this case, assuming again that the compressor is repairable. Or I could just replace the compressor itself with a new compressor if I knew what to look for.

I have a smaller capacity Campbell Hausfeld compressor that I acquired in much the same manner nearly a decade ago (I moved into a space and gave the guy $100 for it to leave it in place) that has given me nothing but good service ever since. But then, it is not under heavy use and I service it properly.

I'm a one-man shop and this business does not put the food on my table but does support the enjoyment of my and my customer's hotrods (I let the shop next door handle the general auto repair stuff), so what is OK for me is not what would be OK for a full-time, large shop where 24/7 reliability of your tools is required. In my other business, I invest in premium grade equipment because repairs and downtime can be disasterous.

That said, I'm still looking for some guidance to diagnose and repair this particular unit since I have no experience at all with air compressor repair.