Repairing an Ingersoll-Rand Compressor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012, 09:39 PM

Last journal entry: Fan Update
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Repairing an Ingersoll-Rand Compressor

An Ingersoll-Rand compressor, Model RA5T 80V 1M "Rand 4000", 5HP, 230V was left by the last tenant in my shop space. It's likely that this model was sold locally by Northern Tool & Equipment. The compressor leaks a LOT of oil from the air intake. The local shop that services my Rotary and Benwil lifts tells me that the compressor is "not economically repairable" and they won't work on it and describe the compressor as a "piece of junk". I tried to contact the manufacturer, but never received a response. I've never had good luck with the local repair mechanics at Northern (they don't seem very familiar with the equipment they sell, being more of the we-just-assemble-things folks), so I haven't talked to them yet.

Any advice? Is this repairable or junk? Cars I've worked on, but I have never had a wrench on an air compressor.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 10:25 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

compressor pump

I have bought repair parts on line and replaced heads, rods, valves. It depends on how much your time is worth. a few years ago my kids turned on the shop compressor when it was 22 * F and the rods did not get propper lubrication, I bought new rods, polished the crankshaft , I made my own rod dippers and X ed the rods and drilled oil holes. like when I rebuilt a Model T 4 Cyl engine. It's a bit noiser than when new but has been running the last 10 years, after setting 10 years before rebuild. I have a water pipe heater strip wrapped around the pump I plug in during the winter.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:57 PM
a red wool sock on his dinger

Last photo:

What "frame" is the electric motor? It'll be on the motor data plate...
Old 08-06-2012, 07:35 AM
Last photo:

Ingersoll Rand compressors are Chinese pieces of junk and as such "are not economically repairable". Ingersoll Rand should be ashamed to put their name on them. I put them on the same level as Campbell Hausfeld. There is a reason the last tenant left that POS when they left, it is not worth moving.
Vince

Last edited by 302 Z28; 08-06-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canzus View Post
What "frame" is the electric motor? It'll be on the motor data plate...
Sorry to take so long to respond.

The frame type of the electric motor is 184T.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28 View Post
Ingersoll Rand compressors are Chinese pieces of junk and as such "are not economically repairable". Ingersoll Rand should be ashamed to put their name on them. I put them on the same level as Campbell Hausfeld. There is a reason the last tenant left that POS when they left, it is not worth moving.
Vince
I see. I understand what you'e saying.

Given that the electric motor and tank are in OK shape and my total investment to date is US$0 and I should be capable of repairing the pump myself (assuming it is not damaged beyond repair), "Not Economically Repairable" may not apply in this case, assuming again that the compressor is repairable. Or I could just replace the compressor itself with a new compressor if I knew what to look for.

I have a smaller capacity Campbell Hausfeld compressor that I acquired in much the same manner nearly a decade ago (I moved into a space and gave the guy $100 for it to leave it in place) that has given me nothing but good service ever since. But then, it is not under heavy use and I service it properly.

I'm a one-man shop and this business does not put the food on my table but does support the enjoyment of my and my customer's hotrods (I let the shop next door handle the general auto repair stuff), so what is OK for me is not what would be OK for a full-time, large shop where 24/7 reliability of your tools is required. In my other business, I invest in premium grade equipment because repairs and downtime can be disasterous.

That said, I'm still looking for some guidance to diagnose and repair this particular unit since I have no experience at all with air compressor repair.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:40 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28 View Post
Vince
dang, now ingersoll rand is going to sue 302 z28
Old 08-17-2012, 06:54 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
dang, now ingersoll rand is going to sue 302 z28
Bring it on

Vince
Old 08-25-2012, 07:05 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

When did IR start getting their stuff fron China? My IR was a great compressor and gave years of every day use with five men using it.
when the compressor bearings did finally wear out it gave plenty of notice (noise) which I promptly ignored.until the whole bottom let loose.when I rebuilt it it cost 600.00 for piston, rings,crank,valves,bearings ,everything.I though it was a bit high until I started looking at compressors of equal size (10 hp) so I rebuilt it and havent had a problem in 4 yrs ...it WAS pretty old and I was surprised I could still get all the parts.to rebuild it but thats a gosh darn fantastic compressor....but where can you get a 10 hp compressor for 600.00? IMO it was worth 600.00 all busted up BEFORE I rebuilt it.
I'm verry sorry to hear that IR went with cheap chinesse parts. They used to be on top of the heap.I guess if you want anything thats good quality now days you have to get something old and rebuild it. What ever happened to pride in your work?
Old 08-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Last photo:

Hey DBM I think IR high end compressors still contain US components, might be wrong about that though. I do know my IR 5hp 80 gallon vertical compressor has a Chinese motor, compressor, and electrical components. The tank may be US made.

Vince
Old 09-14-2012, 12:49 AM

I have the same Rand 4000 5 HP compressor in my home shop. Mine cost something like $200 but had a nearly new Marathon motor. It works great for my use, although it is a little loud.

Bad news is that IR no longer supports parts for this unit. The lady I spoke with said that they sold all the obsolete parts to a dealer in, if I recall, Bensenville Illinois. I think it is on or near Rte 83. I picked up some parts in person, as I lived near there at the time.
The place was called General Air Compressor and the guy was named George, but this was probably 4 or years ago and I don't know if they are still around.

Alan
Old 09-14-2012, 06:01 AM

Last journal entry: Still running strong

If the tank is fairly large like 40 gal. or larger I'd keep it.Granger sells parts for compressors.I built my own from 2 worn out Sears compressors an my own compressor.Now I have a 45 gal. that I made from all of the useable parts.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwater View Post
If the tank is fairly large like 40 gal. or larger I'd keep it.Granger sells parts for compressors.I built my own from 2 worn out Sears compressors an my own compressor.Now I have a 45 gal. that I made from all of the useable parts.
This sounds like the way to go. I guess I need to get all the specs from the current compressor and motor and go shopping.

Thanks, fellas.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:42 PM

Last photo:

air mach inc 2345 delaware ave DM Iowa 515-263-8880 maybe abl to help with parts and all. the bigs thing is to rebuild vales and the unloders and keep oil changed lap the valves and new valves springs , i use to work for a compressors repair shop there are just a big eng it all works the same way the #1spudman
Old 01-08-2013, 02:13 PM

Last photo:

Thanks! A repair is usually less expensive than a replacement.

Can I get some advice? The oil is leaking (a lot) from the "exhaust" of the pump. What is the most likely cause? What parts might I be looking at replacing?

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.