is this repetitive bad luck or what? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2003, 05:47 PM

Last journal entry: Rear End Disassembly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

is this repetitive bad luck or what?

Good news and bad news guys.

I FINALLY got the problem solved with the backfiring of my car. After hours and hours on end, finally!! It is running smooth now, just need to find the best timing for it.

HOWEVER, i knew that it couldn't be true, as usual. I opened my hood after driving it to the gas station and oil was everywhere. I mean EVERYWHERE. And it had nothing to do with what I worked on, including the distributor and drivers side valve cover, and carberator. It was coming from somewhere near the passenger valve cover, or the intake manifold or somewhere near the carb. NOW THIS IS BAD. Why all of a sudden? This valve cover or intake hasn't leaked for some hundreds of miles, and then all of a sudden exactly when I finish fixing the other problem. This is bad luck or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2003, 10:55 PM

Last photo:

Take rags and clean up everything you can. Then start the car and see if you can identify where it is leaking. I don't know how it would get everywhere but with all the wind under the hood from the fan I guess it could get blown around.

If you are leaking between your head and block that is bad. Do a compression check on all your cylinders and see what you have. If you have anything below 125 it isn't good but it won't kill the engine but if it is below 100 you got problems. If you have two dead cylinders next to each other you have:

Best case, bad head gasket
Worst case, warped/cracked head

I don't know what your car was doing before but if it overheated too much or was detonating due to really bad timing or fouled plugs you could have issues. It doesn't sound good.

Make sure all your bolts are tight as well. Get torque specs for your head bolts too. But don't worry about that until after a compression check. then torque and see what happens. A valve adjustment to, just to be sure it is not valves causing lost compression (probably not). When all else fails, pull the head and find out what is wrong.

Do you have water in your oil?

Rick
Old 11-18-2003, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

Actually when I took off the valve cover I smelled gas. Probably from the backfiring I had from my carb and timing. Maybe the gas made it too thin or something. I hope its nothing too serious from the backfiring.

I did check the torque on the valve covers and the intake. Intake was fine, however the valve covers have gotten extremely tight. Now I never torqued them that tight, and I almost had to use a hammer to get them off. Im hoping when I take the valve cover off on that side the gasket is cracked.

The odd part is I started my car, revved the engine up to about 3 grand, and watched the area, and I saw it accumulating near an intake bolt. Either it is leaking down from the valve cover or something in the intake. I hope once again its nothing you mentioned.

If it was a minor leak I could just deal with it. but it gets blown into the fan, and all into the air filter and on the carb and such. I don't know anymore.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:46 PM

Last photo:

I don't know if Mopar engines have this but on some Small Block Chevy heads some of the intake bolt holes aren't blind and if sealer isn't used on the bolt threads it will allow oil to seep up the threads and puddle in the manifold low spots.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:19 PM

Last photo:

But would that happen all of a sudden after about 500 miles without trouble?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.