Replace 312 with 302 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2002, 05:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Replace 312 with 302

I have a 56 T-Bird with 312 / Fordamatic. I would like to replace it with a FI 302 / AOD. Has anyone done this before? Real nervous about doing this as I'm not sure about the electrical and how to bolt up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Randy
randyveach@hotmail.com

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2002, 07:49 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Thumbs up

It can be done. Mounting the drivetrain is not that difficult and wiring harnesses are availbale for the EEC.

Just one question...why? I hope you plan to hold onto the old drivetrain for resale purposes.
Old 05-26-2002, 10:47 PM

Why? Who the heck would want a 312 and a FOrd-o-Matic?

Isn't that the old 2 speed Ford tranny? Yuk!
Old 05-26-2002, 11:16 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

why? yuk? dude, its a 56 t-bird. keep it origional and the resale goes WAY up. I saw one of these sell on ebay for 80,000 dollars. Its not like it'll be a daily driver anyway.
Old 05-26-2002, 11:27 PM

I agree, keep it original and value goes up. If you want it to be a daily driver, well it can be done. You will have to put an electric fuel pump near the tank. You will need to rob a harness from a late model, preferably the same as the one the engine comes from unless it is a crate. In that case, talk to Painless Wiring, Haywire, or some place else. The computer costs atleast 600 bucks so you need to rob one off a donar car. The motor mounts will need to be modified or preferably replace with custom built one. The late model 302 will bolt straight up to the AOD but you may have problems fitting the AOD in place of the Fordamatic. Depending on size difference with the trannys, the whole set up may have to be dropped towards the ground. You will for sure have to modify or construct a crossover at the transmission in order for the AOD to fit as well. The Drive shaft I don't know about but that is the cheapest thing you will have to as far as actual drivetrain goes. You are looking at quite an investment to try this. I say keep it the same, store it, and go buy a new or slighlty used car for a little more and it will be more reliable. This is not a wheel spinning, hide roasting, quarter mile destroyer so don't try to change it if it is intact. If it has been wrecked, is rusted out, needs almost all new sheetmetal, and a frameoff restoration, then go for it but if not-leave it!
Old 05-27-2002, 09:27 AM

The reason I am doing this is that I want to make this car my daily driver. I plan to rebuild the 312 and Fordamatic (yes it is a 2 speed) and crate it. If, and when, I sell the car the crate goes with it. The new owner will know it has the original engine and Transmission, and if he wants to put it in, more power to him. Who is EEC? If you know of any companys that build conversion kits, I would appreciate the name. Even if they don't sell a kit, maybe they will know someone who does. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Randy
Old 05-27-2002, 10:19 AM

You might try a set of mounts from a 64 full size Ford that would have had a 260-289 in it. I put a 390 from a 67 into a 54 victoria and used the stock 54 mounts.I did have to make a tranny mount. I also used the stock auto shifter on the column. I don't know if or when Ford has changed the mount location on the block,if they haven't motor mounts should be a piece of cake.
Old 05-27-2002, 10:31 AM
aka Duke of URL

Arrow

The trouble is the Bird engine was supported on the front and rear with mounts with stabilizers on the sides. You will have to fabricate a crossmember to mount the engine on. It it was a Fairlane, it would be no problem.

EEC (Electronic Engine Control) is the electronics used to manage the engine. There are wiring kits available to update it...no problem there.

Let me check around and I will get back to you.

[ May 27, 2002: Message edited by: KULTULZ ]</p>
Old 05-27-2002, 01:14 PM
aka Duke of URL

Smile

I would talk to these folks- <a href="http://www.rcmotorsports.net/" target="_blank">-Rod & Custom Motorsports-</a> about making a special crossmember to mount the engine on. You will also get a Must II suspension/steering/brake package to go with it.

<a href="http://www.windsor-fox.com/wiring.htm" target="_blank">-Windsor-Fox-</a> will give you the wiring harness to tie in the fuel injection.

I don't remember a changeover kit ever being offered, it was usually homemade because not many wanted to change the chassis.

Let us know what you decide.
Old 05-27-2002, 02:11 PM

The original automatic found in that 56 Bird is a 3 spd Borg Warner model. A am no Ford man, but the 312 engine is respectable if built correctly.You might be dollars ahead to find if there is some way to adapt the Od trans to the 312.But if you have the cash then go for it.Sometimes a daily driver project get so complicated and expensive it loses its way.
Old 05-27-2002, 04:14 PM
aka Duke of URL

Thumbs up

There is plenty of performance to be found in a well prepped Y-Block. It can also more easily be converted back to origional.

Look at this website---&gt; <a href="http://www.ford-y-block.com/" target="_blank">-Y-BLOCK-</a>

And if you are impressed with fuel injection, aftermarket TBI kits can be added for a lot less than the drivetrain conversion. It will give you the same driveability.

Add A/C if you don't have it, a nice sound system and you have it!

[ May 27, 2002: Message edited by: KULTULZ ]</p>

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.