Replace 4L60E with 700 R4 ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011, 11:48 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Replace 4L60E with 700 R4 ?

I am swapping a 4.3L chevy V6 driveline (from a 1994 S-10) into another vehicle and am at the point of transmission rebuilding -- The local rebuilder bad mouthed the early 4L60E's and came up with a big number to rebuild it -- He further suggested a 700R4 might make more sense -- Horsepower is not an issue (about 220) and mounting concerns are not an issue as transmission mount and driveshaft have not been fabricated yet.
I am attaching a photo of the bracket at the engines throttle body and hope someone can tell me if the unused square hole in this bracket (and the unused hole in the lower portion of the throttle arm) look like the standard arrangement for use with a 700R4 TV cable. Any other advice and info GREATLY appreciated. Is the rebuilder right about the 4L60 E in your opinion?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PULLEYS 028.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	514.8 KB
ID:	57323  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 12:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by v123
I am swapping a 4.3L chevy V6 driveline (from a 1994 S-10) into another vehicle and am at the point of transmission rebuilding -- The local rebuilder bad mouthed the early 4L60E's and came up with a big number to rebuild it -- He further suggested a 700R4 might make more sense -- Horsepower is not an issue (about 220) and mounting concerns are not an issue as transmission mount and driveshaft have not been fabricated yet.
I am attaching a photo of the bracket at the engines throttle body and hope someone can tell me if the unused square hole in this bracket (and the unused hole in the lower portion of the throttle arm) look like the standard arrangement for use with a 700R4 TV cable. Any other advice and info GREATLY appreciated. Is the rebuilder right about the 4L60 E in your opinion?
The 4L60E is the 700R4 with all the structural improvements made to the 700R4 over the years plus electronic control. The 4L60E needs a computer to operate, the 700R4 doesn't, that's the big difference. In 1990 the 700R4 was renamed 4L60 no E. It is the totally beefed up version as the earlier 700R4's had a lot of problems that GM was slow to address through the 1980's.

I'd say the rebuilder has problems with modernity, as the E requires that you not only know how to rebuild and automatic but also layers electronic controls on top of that. I say move on down the line, there's a lot of rebuilders on the web many specialize in performance mods, though they will redo a stock box as well.

Bogie
Old 08-04-2011, 07:45 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:

i wonder where he would come up with such nonsense, as the late 700r4's and up to around 98-99 4l60e's internal parts are primarily the same. with the exception of the PWM 4l60e, the pumps are a bit different.
even for a good portion of the trans, i.e. the reverse input drum, the input drum,sun shell, center support, and a few other parts are interchangeable from 82-93 (or later depending).
find another builder...
Old 08-04-2011, 08:52 PM

Last photo:

The rebuilder said that he would have to replace all the shift solenoids and the internal wiring harness would be too brittle to reuse and this drove the rebuild cost up -- Does this ring true? I'm in Charlotte, N.C if the group rules allow recommendations on "value" rebuilders
Old 08-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
The rebuilder said that he would have to replace all the shift solenoids and the internal wiring harness would be too brittle to reuse and this drove the rebuild cost up -- Does this ring true?
yes, it is true. wire harness can be brittle, the connectors more brittle

Solenoids should be replaced in all old trans that are rebuilt in my opinion

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.