$$$ to replace rear quarters?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2006, 02:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

$$$ to replace rear quarters??

Hi all... I'm new to the forums... there's a bit of info on myself and my project ('68 Malibu) in the 'Introduce Yourself' forum...
I've been following the DIY painting threads here and on other forums, and am pretty sure it's something I could do. I'm planning on doing most of my own bodywork as well as the painting, BUT... once I get these quarter panels stripped down to bare metal, if they seem to be too bad to work, I don't have any issues with replacing them, but I don't think that's something I'd like to tackle (Don't know how to weld ) I know prices vary, but in your travels, what's an average price per quarter to have someone cut out the old panels, weld in the new ones, and grind the welds?? I'm planning on doing the finishing work... The Goodmark ads in the magazines quote something around $500/quarter for labor... What do you all think??

Thanks in advance!!

Ron (yes, another one!)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2006, 02:43 PM

Last photo:

I think replacement times on most quarters is around 15 to 16 hrs each. That would be drilling out the spotwelds, remove anything needed for access, and aligning and spot welding in the new one. Any other work would be more like if for some reason they didn't fit right. I've never used goodmark parts, but think they are pretty good. A shop geared toward mainly restoration work may have a bit higher labor rate, but believe the l rate in your area will be somewhere around $50/hr times 30 hrs= $1500 plus the cost of the quarters, taxes, maybe shop material charges, all that good stuff. So that price from goodmark doesn't seem too bad. I don't have the exact labor times for a car back that far, but most seem to be in the range I said. I guess you would need to either call around or go get a few different estimates, and check out references on the shops you narrow it down to.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:33 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the quick reply.
One of the local guys I just met (Online) is restoring an Impala...it's his second or third project...he said he's got a guy who's running about $400/panel, so I guess that's a good price. Just trying to figure out where I stand and what the budget will look like and need to bear...
I LOVE Forums!!
An amazing resource I never had the first time around!

Ron
Old 01-30-2006, 08:35 PM

Last photo:

cool, good luck.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:56 PM

Last photo:

I don't know the rust issues on a Malibu quarter but if the parts they are welded to are bad and need to be replaced it could increase the price significantly.

Danny
Old 01-30-2006, 11:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Ron
Thanks for the quick reply.
One of the local guys I just met (Online) is restoring an Impala...it's his second or third project...he said he's got a guy who's running about $400/panel, so I guess that's a good price. Just trying to figure out where I stand and what the budget will look like and need to bear...
I LOVE Forums!!
An amazing resource I never had the first time around!

Ron

$400 per quarter for the basic install is good IMO. Make sure you bolt the doors on and the decklid so your installer has them for alignment purposes. When you pick the car up check how the decklid and doors fit with the new quarters. Getting these panels all aligned before any welding is done is one of the most important things on this job. Bob
Old 01-31-2006, 12:44 AM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

$400 to install a quarter on an old car is dirt cheap, IMHO. That price would work for a vehicle with NO rust and NO other problems, but that is not going to be the case with a 35+ year old car. It's hard for me to see how proper corrosion protection could be acheived for that kind of money. A lot of the quality that I put into my bodywork is never seen, therefore it's hard to sell, but there are those who know the difference. Check out the guy's work before you give your car to him, see how he prepares the metal prior to installing the new panel. At the very least, you should see all pinch weld flanges rust free and coated with weld-through primer. Any interior panels that can't be accessed later should be epoxy primed and/or refinished with something decent.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:15 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the tips! You bet i'll check him out before I take the car over there... he's not far from where I live either...maybe 5 miles, but it'll be a few months before I'm ready to even have him look at the car, but I'll check it out first.

Thanks again!

Ron

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.