Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Replacement for displacement is $ in my pocket.
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2005, 02:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Replacement for displacement is $ in my pocket.

I have an 88 chevy 1/2 ton with over 300k on the stock 305 and just purchased a wrecked 89 3/4 ton and have started swapping out suspension to beef up my rust bucket. Working with a budget of 2k I want to do an engine replacement in the 88. I use this pickup for towing to the track, hauling lumber and hunting. Now my dilemna is do I rebuild the existing 305 roller, take the 350 from the 89 and rebuild it or do I pick up a 350 crate. I just cant decide. Im running 3.73 gears and a turbo 400 in the truck and it pulls just fine with a 3200# car on trailer, as a matter of fact it out pulls most of my buddies newer 350 pickups. The 305 is still strong but burns oil (1qt/500miles). The 350 I have no info on and it other then it ran before the wreck and has about 130k on it. the 350 crate Im looking at is $1995 and is all new parts including block. I know, I know....no replacement for displacement, why even consider the 305 you are saying, I can hear everyone screaming it across the internet as I type this Cost, thats why. By the time im done rebuilding either a 305 or 350 I'll have 1500 in to either. If I go with the 350 then I have to consider a new chip and injectors at the very least. By the time Im done I could have closer to 3k into this vehicle and I just cant seem to justify putting that much into it with the body in the shape its in. I guess Im just looking for a good reason to spend the $ it would require to go 350 I cant seem to convince myself that the theory holds true for every application.