Replacement Glass - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2013, 01:45 PM

Last journal entry: Body
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Replacement Glass

I was looking on Vintage Glass website to see about ordering some side glass for the 38. I noticed during the order process they asked if you had OE non power or aftermarket power windows? I don't understand what would be different about the glass? I called and asked the question and the guy (which was kind of rude) only said if your using aftermarket power windows the glass would be 2 inches longer? Any body know what's the story here? Can you not buy aftermarket power window kits and use your stock OE glass?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 02:37 PM

Last photo:

Best guess would be that the power window mechanism that cradles the glass comes up and hits the door. By making the glass longer it goes all the way to the top without having the mechanism hit. I only know this because that is exactly what I had to do on my 48 chevy pickup. I do believe it varies from power window mfgs. though. Some are better than others.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,221 Times in 1,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfieldcars View Post
Best guess would be that the power window mechanism that cradles the glass comes up and hits the door. By making the glass longer it goes all the way to the top without having the mechanism hit. I only know this because that is exactly what I had to do on my 48 chevy pickup. I do believe it varies from power window mfgs. though. Some are better than others.
And this is the nutty part about this, they have a big blanket they call "power or non-power" HUH? I had power windows in my 48 Chevy pickup that I made out of a 63 Buick Wildcat regulator, there was no change what so ever to the glass. I don't get it, how can there be this blanket statement "power or non-power"?

Original poster, what it really comes down to is you make templates and go have your windows made by a reputable local glass shop, done deal.

Brian
Old 06-05-2013, 07:22 PM
Heathen

Last photo:

I know this one! We just put new glass in my pals '37 Ford. '37, '38, '39 Fords had what are called smokers windows, that is the door glass slides back about two inches when the crank handle is first turned before the window actually starts to go down. This allows a smoker to be able to flick his ashes out the window and draw away the smoke. There are no wing windows on these models. The rear window guides in the door are 2" deep to allow for this movement. If your window mechanism doesn't have this feature the glass has to be 2" longer to take up the extra room.
We installed electric openers made by Nu-Relics that have this feature, they call it a "kick-back": 1937-1939 Ford Coupe ftfg switches console
Old 06-05-2013, 10:27 PM

Last photo:

That is not what he is talking about, but good knowledge.

Brian
Old 06-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Heathen

Last photo:

Brian, I just read the OP again and it sounds like the exact situation I described. What am I missing here? Maybe 38sedan will come back and clear this up.
Alan
Old 06-06-2013, 09:31 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo View Post
Brian, I just read the OP again and it sounds like the exact situation I described. What am I missing here? Maybe 38sedan will come back and clear this up.
Alan
You know, I think you are right! The window would be shorter if it's using the original regulator that moves the glass creating a vent at the front! If you are running power windows, well then you wouldn't be using the factory "vent" style opening thus the glass would need to be 2 inches or so LONGER, we were all thinking about "taller", not LONGER.

I believe you are right and this is the answer to the whole question! Very good, very good!

Brian
Old 06-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Heathen

Last photo:

Thank you, thank you very much
Old 06-10-2013, 03:50 PM

Last journal entry: Body
Last photo:

Replacement glass

My car is a Chevy, I don't know about the feature you describe. These cars do have front vent windows. I just ordered the OE type "smoked" glass. I'm not sure if I am going to use power windows anyway. Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo View Post
I know this one! We just put new glass in my pals '37 Ford. '37, '38, '39 Fords had what are called smokers windows, that is the door glass slides back about two inches when the crank handle is first turned before the window actually starts to go down. This allows a smoker to be able to flick his ashes out the window and draw away the smoke. There are no wing windows on these models. The rear window guides in the door are 2" deep to allow for this movement. If your window mechanism doesn't have this feature the glass has to be 2" longer to take up the extra room.
We installed electric openers made by Nu-Relics that have this feature, they call it a "kick-back": 1937-1939 Ford Coupe ftfg switches console
My 36 Hudson Terraplane has this same feature. Window goes back then down..

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.