Replacement Plastic Glass protecters for Sand Blast Cabinet - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2010, 04:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Replacement Plastic Glass protecters for Sand Blast Cabinet

I am wondering if anyone knows of an alternative window shield for a sand blast cabinet? I am referring to those little expensive plastic stick on sheets that you place on the inside of the viewing glass on your sand blast cabinet. Is there something else that I can use that will be less expensive - yeah, I know - I'm cheap.. or is there an affordable mail order source online? Those suckers are pricey and they don't last long. Any suggesttions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Gary

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2010, 08:25 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by impcon
- yeah, I know - I'm cheap.

No you are not cheap, you're smart. Those replacement window covers are a rip-off because they know you can't get them anywhere else. I have had good luck using plastic cling food wrap and tape, it lasts about as long as the real thing and costs next to nothing even if it is a bit of a hassle to install. Not sure how long other people can get their covers to last but I went trough $25 dollars worth of them in less than a week!
Old 07-08-2010, 06:56 AM

Last photo:

Is there a certain brand you have found that works better? I assume the thicker the plastic wrap the longer it lasts or does it not matter?
Old 07-08-2010, 10:03 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorulz
Is there a certain brand you have found that works better? I assume the thicker the plastic wrap the longer it lasts or does it not matter?

The stuff I use is not particularly heavy but it is a commercial type food wrap I picked up at an "odds & ends" store here locally, I think Wall-Mart has some that another guy I know uses (I got the idea from him).
Old 07-08-2010, 07:40 PM
V8 Beetle & Hovercrafts

Last photo:

I work as in industrial mechanic in an aluminum foundry and I have 2 sand blast cabinets that are used to blast out cores to inspect the blades inside of torque converters.

I orders 2'x4' sheets of polycarbonate film from Mcmaster Carr. I can't remember the thickness off of the top of my head but I think its either .005" or .010", I can check for sure tomorrow.

Anyways look at item #'s 85585K72 @ $4.10 a sheet and 85585K73 @ 7.02 a sheet at www.mcmaster.com I order like 20 sheets at a time and tape about 5 together and cut them to size with a pair of scissor. The windows on our cyclone blasters are 12x24 so I can get 4 window films out of a sheet. I then just use some scotch tape to tape the plastic to the glass, but be sure that you tape all the way around it so sand/dust doesn't get between the plastic and glass.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:19 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I'd look for a roll of window film in the lightest possible "tint" and apply it. Another possibility is clear packing tape, 3M has some that's thicker than the cheap stuff.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:23 AM
V8 Beetle & Hovercrafts

Last photo:

I just checked my computer at work in its the .005" film that we use for our blaster windows. It was the 85585K72 part number from www.mcmaster.com

Hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:36 PM

Last journal entry: Here is the car after paint
Last photo:

Went to wally world and bought the house winterizing plastic sheeting kit. Cost about $3.00. I get several clear covers out of it. Works pretty good.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.