Hot Rod Forum banner

Replacement Plastic Glass protecters for Sand Blast Cabinet

14K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  47chevy 
#1 ·
I am wondering if anyone knows of an alternative window shield for a sand blast cabinet? I am referring to those little expensive plastic stick on sheets that you place on the inside of the viewing glass on your sand blast cabinet. Is there something else that I can use that will be less expensive - yeah, I know - I'm cheap.. or is there an affordable mail order source online? Those suckers are pricey and they don't last long. Any suggesttions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Gary

#2 ·
impcon said:
- yeah, I know - I'm cheap.

No you are not cheap, you're smart. Those replacement window covers are a rip-off because they know you can't get them anywhere else. I have had good luck using plastic cling food wrap and tape, it lasts about as long as the real thing and costs next to nothing even if it is a bit of a hassle to install. Not sure how long other people can get their covers to last but I went trough $25 dollars worth of them in less than a week! :mad:

#4 ·
snorulz said:
Is there a certain brand you have found that works better? I assume the thicker the plastic wrap the longer it lasts or does it not matter?

The stuff I use is not particularly heavy but it is a commercial type food wrap I picked up at an "odds & ends" store here locally, I think Wall-Mart has some that another guy I know uses (I got the idea from him).

#5 ·
I work as in industrial mechanic in an aluminum foundry and I have 2 sand blast cabinets that are used to blast out cores to inspect the blades inside of torque converters.

I orders 2'x4' sheets of polycarbonate film from Mcmaster Carr. I can't remember the thickness off of the top of my head but I think its either .005" or .010", I can check for sure tomorrow.

Anyways look at item #'s 85585K72 @ $4.10 a sheet and 85585K73 @ 7.02 a sheet at www.mcmaster.com I order like 20 sheets at a time and tape about 5 together and cut them to size with a pair of scissor. The windows on our cyclone blasters are 12x24 so I can get 4 window films out of a sheet. I then just use some scotch tape to tape the plastic to the glass, but be sure that you tape all the way around it so sand/dust doesn't get between the plastic and glass.

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.