Hot Rod Forum banner

Replacing 36 chev wood frame

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  willys36@aol.com 
#1 ·
I am going to replace the wood inner structure of my 36chev tudor with steel but am not sure of what and how much i need. I was going to use square tubing but just how much do i need?
Any help would be appreciated.
Chuckk

#2 ·
Do you men how many linear feet of tubing? If so, get out your trusty tape measure, a pencil and paper. Sketch out all the tubing paths you will be installing, measure those paths on the actual car body and you will have the number you need. Buy ~10% more than you need to allow for mistakes, mis-calculation.

#5 ·
As mentioned in the other thread, choose a tubing size that best replicates the wood that you are removing. 1 1/2" and 1 1/4" square and various rectangular sizes will be used a lot.

One word of advice; the question was asked in the other thread, "why not just replace the wood?" There are so many good reasons to use steel instead of wood I don't know where to start. With steel the doors will be WAY lighter and stiffer so they won't sag as they immediately do with wood. The body will be very stable and keep its shape which it won't do with wood. In short, don't even think of replacing the wood with wood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.