Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - replacing a 454 with a 350......
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 11:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

replacing a 454 with a 350......

Hello folks....thanks in advance for any assistance!

Here is the story - I'm looking to buy an older pickup for general hauling (home depot, yards stuff, lumber, etc) and I've found one thats reasonable but its a 454. Now a 350 small block is a good friend of mine and we go way back, but this is my first meeting with Mr 454.

The truck is a 76 GMC and has 150k miles on its original all stock 454. I drove it and it seemed to drive out OK - no nasty smoke or warning sounds. Had a little white smoke but it was cold out so I'm not suspecting a head gasket, but I digress....

To cut right to it.....the 454 seems "ok" but it certainly looks like its from 1976 and I really have no feel for how well, or not, it was treated. If I buy this truck and the 454 dies - I'm probably going to take out the 454 and drop in a 350 (I wont need any more than that for my purposes anyway). My question is - does anyone have a good idea as to what issues I might face making that swap? Tranny? mounts? wiring?...etc.

I hope the 454 keeps ticking along, but I'm trying to plan ahead.

Thanks again!