Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - replacing a 454 with a 350......
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Old Guys Rule!...EVERYTHING!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I had a 76 Chevy truck with a 454, it was a pretty good setup! There are a few "issues" that need to be looked at or watched. The one I got was a "fix-r-upper" ...guy said all it needed a new cam, well when I got it home I torn into it ...had to use vice grips to get the push rods out! (No wonder the cam was bad! *G*) SO I torn the whole engine down. ...both heads cracked in two places, running with lead free gas the exhaust valves were pounding out (sinking into the seat). BUT after dealing with those issues, new re-built heads with hardened seats, and a after the market flame hardened cam it ran great! That was 20 yr.s ago ...truck is gone now ...BUT not the engine! I still have it, re-built it again and waiting for my new truck project (64 1/2ton step-side). Big Chevy's are great engines! ...They do like gas, but the trade off are more power, and the same gas mileage whether you are hauling something or not. IMHO ...The only issue I think you'll have to deal with is brackets ...for the power steering, alternator, & A/C (if you have any) ...Good Luck!!