Replacing Alternator w/internal voltage regulator type - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2011, 08:28 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Replacing Alternator w/internal voltage regulator type

I am currently using the old voltage regulator system on my 68 Vette with the original type alternator. A friend gave me a chrome plated alternator that has the regulator inside of it. I want to use it. As far as wiring it up do I just need to come off the battery side of that new alternator and go to the battery + side... any other wires do I need to hook up coming to or from the new alternator? The voltage gauage (or lets say amp gauage) is not in use. I have digital gauges (led), and I have the volt gauge hooked directly to the + on the battery. I just don't trust those old type gauges. Any suggestions will help. The new alternator I'm installing will bolt up just perfect with exception I have to use a slightly smaller belt (length).

Thnaks,
Ron - Maryland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 11:18 PM

Last photo:

Is it a 1 wire or a 3 wire alternator? If it's a 1 wire you'd wire it directly to the battery or the hot wire on the starter.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:54 AM

Last photo:

This is how I did it, the dashed lines are jumper wires and the old reg is removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12sialt.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	54279  
Old 04-08-2011, 07:19 AM

Wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownver
Is it a 1 wire or a 3 wire alternator? If it's a 1 wire you'd wire it directly to the battery or the hot wire on the starter.
The alternator I'm I want to use that has an internal voltage regulator has the BAT stud on the back and at the top it has two prongs where a plug plugs in... the plug though only has one wire coming out of it on the side marked 'R', this wire is WHITE in color. The other side of the same plug where there's no wire coming out of the plug is marked 'F' on the alternator which I assume means FIELD. You mentioned wire it directly to the starter, can't I just pick up the same wire off the old alternator that was connected to the BAT terminal of the alternator stud? It will end up going to the battery anyway, I would think. Ok, what do I do with that white wire off the top of the alternator (plug)?

Thanks,
Ron
Old 04-08-2011, 07:27 AM

Repalcement Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD Guy
This is how I did it, the dashed lines are jumper wires and the old reg is removed.
Nice diagram!!! One issue though as far as my alternator...... Where there's two prongs where a plug connects, there's only one wire on the plug being used (of course the plug un-plugs). A white wire comes out of the plug and it actually connects where it is marked 'R' on the alternator. The other part of the plug has NO wire, and that is marked 'F' on the alternator which I assume means FIELD. I assume somewhere in the wiring you show one of those wires has to go to the amp/volt gauage in the dash of the car, I may be wrong I'll have to look at my schematics of that car and trace the wire out. I am NOT using the in dash gauge, I have an external led gauge which I just have coming directly off a battery wire. What actually does the terminals atop the alternator used for in that apllication?

Thanks,
Ron - Maryland
Old 04-08-2011, 07:36 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulk21074
Nice diagram!!! One issue though as far as my alternator...... Where there's two prongs where a plug connects, there's only one wire on the plug being used (of course the plug un-plugs).
So go to your local NAPA or other auto parts store and get a pigtail with both wires. The No. 2 terminal should be connected to the junction block, though it will work if you just route that wire to the BATT stud on the alternator. The No. 1 terminal should be connected to the GEN light on the dash. This is necessary for the alternator to turn on and charge properly. If you don't have or don't want to use the GEN light, you can instead solder a 35 ohm resistor in this wire and connect it to a switched +12V source.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:52 AM

Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
So go to your local NAPA or other auto parts store and get a pigtail with both wires. The No. 2 terminal should be connected to the junction block, though it will work if you just route that wire to the BATT stud on the alternator. The No. 1 terminal should be connected to the GEN light on the dash. This is necessary for the alternator to turn on and charge properly. If you don't have or don't want to use the GEN light, you can instead solder a 35 ohm resistor in this wire and connect it to a switched +12V source.

Thanks for the reponse.... looking at the alternator I do see a #1 and under that is a letter 'R'. This is the one where the only wire is used but I'll grab another plug with two wires. The car I'm using this on is a 1968 Vette (427 ci). Maybe at one time sit had a light for the dash (gen lite) but I have never noticed one. I am the third owner of this car and when I got it I had all kinds of electrical issues with it. When I turn the key to the on position, I just hear the buzzer sound. On the # 2 stud of the alternator it is marked also 'F' which I assume means FIELD. So, I can go right to the BAT terminal on the back of the alternator like you said, I'd rather do that or maybe just use the red 10 gauge wire that is currently going to the exisitng alternator. I like the resistor idea though, I'll go with that.

Thanks,
Ron - Maryland

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.