Replacing an automatic with a 5 speed? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2002, 07:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question Replacing an automatic with a 5 speed?

Hello everyone. I'm working on a 78 Omega and I am thinking that since the tranny needs a good bit of work I may just replace it (an automatic) with a manual, more then likely a 5 speed.

Is this just a matter or getting a clutch assembly, welding in the clutch peddle and switching out the tranny or is this major overhaul? Have any of you done it? Any suggestions?

Your site looks great by the way.
Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2002, 10:21 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

well, welcome to our site, i dont know what your abilities are but adding a clutch pedal, swapping a tranny and shifter sound like a pretty big job no matter how good you are.the only thing i can say after reading your posts is that there is a big difference between rebuilding or servicing a part[like changeing brake shoes or rebuilding a tranny] and updating or modifying an entire system.
before you go around upgrading things figure uot what your goal is, a daily driver? a street machine? once you have a plan and a budget you can start checking on changing systems and asking a lot of questions. i hope i was able to help.
Old 08-17-2002, 11:24 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Arrow

The easiest way to do a changeover like this is to have a donor car (whether purchased or a complete in a scrap yard) that has all the needed pieces to upgrade. Buying (finding) the needed parts one by one for your application would be a nightmare it seems to me.

It's done everyday.
Old 08-18-2002, 10:23 AM

What I am looking for as an end result of the project is a car that has an almost completely factory exterior, maybe add a scoop and a spoiler, but not sure about that yet. The interior will be almost completely custom (hopefully). I am lookig to add all of the modern conveniences (power windows, locks, modern sound system, etc) but keep the carbourated engine.

It will be my daily ride and I want it to have a good bit of power, but I'm not planning on bringing it to the track except for the occasional weekend to see what it can do in the "Sportsman's" class. Average time in the class I am looking for out here is mid 12 to high 13 seconds so I'm not looking for an off the wall, 10 foot tall blower, no NOS, just something that will be fun to drive and can put these rediculous ricers in there place off of a red light

I am trying to decide now if i want to drop a 350 rocket or a 455 in it, I have a 455 avalable that we pulled out of an old Custom Cruiser right now nd there is something cool about saying that there's a 455 in there, but form what i hear the parts are a lot more expensive for the increse in power they give, and a lot harder to find. So who knows.

As for my abilities, let's say I'm still learning, but want to learn it all. I have replced prety much then entire front end on another car i owned, a lot of engine work but i'm not too familiar with trannys much yet but a friend of mine makes a living as a mechanic so I will see what he thinks about helping me out. He said he's never done this kind of swap out, but he has switched like trannys. Are we in over our heads with this?

As for finding a donor car that is currently in tact, that is a very good suggestion and I'll start looking into that. Thanks.

Basically, I am looking for something that I can put a lot of time into and make it into a car that I can say is uniquely mine and that I did at least most of the work.

Thanks for the help guys, and sorry for the long reply.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.