replacing block heater plug - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2003, 01:59 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post replacing block heater plug

I have a chevy 350 built to around 350 hp, just got it all put in my 83 regal. I have a coolant leak in an aftermarket block heater ( i didnt put it in) on the drivers side near the back of the block. how do I remove it and how do I replace it with a freeze plug and should I be able to do this with out pulling headers or motor? I have done just about everything with engines just not block plugs. any help would be appreciated

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2003, 03:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

To remove the block heater just loosen the center bolt/screw and pry it out. If it is leaking but still works you can just replace the o-ring and reinstall. Sand the core hole to ensure a good clean surface for your new plug or heater.

On many cars the block heater is behind the engine mount so removing it can be a bugger since you have to lift the engine and remove the mount. Of course you can replace the heater with a freeze plug if you like but installing it might be harder than replacing it with a heater.

DO NOT attempt to seal the new frost plug or block heater with silicone sealant, non-hardening sealer on the frost plug or a little silicone grease on your o-ringed block heater is the proper method. Don't overtighten and strip the block heater center screw, they are usually brass on the cheap ones and don't handle high torque before they strip. If you can find one a stainless block heater is the ultimate.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:39 PM

thanks alot, I will try to find a stainless block heater. Im very anxious to get this ride on the road, and you gave me just the info I needed to know. thank again 4 jaw chuck you are a asset to this board!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.