Replacing a cab on a 50 chevy truck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2008, 12:47 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Replacing a cab on a 50 chevy truck

Could anyone help out

I am having to replace my 50s chevy cab its all rusted out its got to go. I have a 53 three window i want to replace it with.

My dilemma is that I am forced to cut on the seam to get my three window cab complete on the 50.

I have done fabrication work before however i have not done a cab swap

If anyone could give some pointers on this i will surely be a happy deacon.

I don't want to chop it down i only want to change the top out. I plan to go 3' on the top windshield section and cut on the cab seam. Is this a good place to cut or should i go lower.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2008, 05:39 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

why not just use the whole cab ?
Old 09-06-2008, 09:03 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,013 Posts
To only use the roof is going to take some work.

You need to remove the entire metal inner panel, the one around the rear windows. You need to remove that panel to get a clean attack on the spot welds around the back of the cab. If you drill out all the spot welds on that inner panel you can simply plug weld it back in when you are thru.

Drill out all those spot welds, remove the inner panel. Then drill out all the spot welds around the back seam. Cut it with a hack saw or cut of wheel at the on the welds at the end of the seam at the door jambs. Then cut thru the windshield post.

I HIGHLY recommend you make a template of the windshield post so you can cut both tops in EXACTLY the same place or you are SCREWED. Measure your height at a number of places. Make some reference points in the windshield opening on both cabs. Put these reference points at the EXACT same place on both cabs. Be sure you have the SAME measurements on both cabs, that will prove that you have accurate reference points.

Then, when you set the "new" roof on the old cab you will be able to measure at your reference points to ensure you have the EXACT height and you will end up with the windshield and door fitting properly.

Here is a link to a "Basics of Basics" to making templates. (Click here for article)

Brian

P.S. I too have the same question as Shine, why aren't you changing the whole cab?
Old 09-06-2008, 09:17 AM

Last photo:

Changing the whole cab and fixing something wrong with the "New" cab that the old one doesn't have may be the easier way to pull this off. If you still plan on swaping the roof only, I can post pictures of the inner panel removed and show you what you will see and what not if you like.

Brian
Old 09-06-2008, 11:29 AM

the deacons chevy

The cab on the 53 is rusted out on the floors and has a good top everything else needs replacing with new floor, mounts, supports, cowls, ect.

And the 50 has the opposite the top is bad, rusted through on the top of the windshild e and about 5'' inside the door opening on the top side......but the floor is complete the lower half is ok.

So that is leading me to want to do the swap.

I have removed the inside panels before on my last truck a 52 chevy truck with a spot weld chaser i bought at the local welding shop easy work with hand held drill.

I thought of leaving some green on the 53 cab front cut to have some extra incase i dont get it quit as perfect.

Thank you for the link i like the idea of having a template.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:18 PM

the deacons chevy

Brian could you post some pictures of tha panels removed, I need to remember what it looked like after panels are removed.

Thanks great link on the template, i am sure happy for the information. I learned about making templates when i was building aluminum boats they do work and the old boat builders used to store several patterns of them in their shop, quit a sight seeing these old boat builders going through their pile of patterns to find the right one.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:59 PM

Last photo:

Here is the inside of the cab roof with the panel removed.

Here is a close up of the pinch weld but it is pretty rusted so you can't see a whole lot, but it gives you an idea.

Here is the spot where the outer skins are welded together. The inner jamb is one piece up and over to the cowl. So you will need to cut it at that seam as well using templates of course.

Brian
Old 09-11-2008, 07:49 PM

Last journal entry: more trial fitting
Last photo:

On the web type in 51 3600 chevy truck repair and you will see a guy's journal about doing something like what you mention. In the #3 photo journal he takes the top and back of a 5 window and puts it on a 3 window cab. Very interesting.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.