Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Replacing cab corners
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 06:26 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You can't flange a curved area. For starters, get your cab corners first. They come larger than what you will need. LMC will carry them. Pull the bed off of your truck and mark out with tape what you need to cut out. Do not cut any more than necessary. Pull the interior panels out of the truck in the area of the cab corners. Notice at the bottom of the rocker, how the corner meets this area. Get a cutoff wheel and cut out your bad area. Mark your new piece and carefully trim it to fit. This will take multiple times of trial and trimming until you get it where you want. Once you get it to fit where you want, clean, grind, wire-brush everything you can on the cab in the area that you are putting the corner. This is where the rust starts forming. Use some POR15 to coat the cab area quite liberally and let dry. Grind the areas where you will need to weld. Tack weld the corner in. Then go back and fill in between. Finish as necessary and you may find that you will need to get a tube of seam sealer and use down towards the rocker and back seam at the cab. Use some more POR15 or similar product to re-coat from the inside. I removed and replaced mine at the door jamb around to the seam in the cab and above the reinforcement brace in the cab. I have to resize some pics but will post them in a short as to how I did mine