Replacing Cab corners and rockers - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2005, 08:05 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Replacing Cab corners and rockers

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I just found out about hotrodders a few days ago when I was doing some research for my most current project. Great Site! I am going to be replacing the cab corne and rocker panels on my 1991 pickup. This is going to be my first attempt at body work, painting, etc. I have read a ton of very informative threads on here over the last couple of days and have learned a lot. I recently purchased a small mig welding machine and I am in the process of purchasing a HVLP spray gun for this project. After reading many posts I am still a little uncertain about the best way to go about coating or priming the inner rocker panels and the underside of the outer rockers. The replacement panels came from the factory with a black primer coating (I believe this is called e-coating ????). Although I have cut most of the rusted areas out, there is still a some pitted rust spots. My main concern is how to properly prep these rusty surfaces or remove the rust. I would like to shoot the areas that I am going to be covering up with an epoxy primer to protect them from moisture, etc…I have attached some pictures of the rusted areas and I was hoping for suggestions on the best way deal with this situation. I realize the heavy rust will have to be grinded or sanded off, but I am more concerned with the pitting that will be left after the heavy stuff is removed (mostly along the bottom edge). I would coat the entire bottom of the panel with por 15 or something similar, but the new rockers will need to be spot welded and I will need bare metal to weld to.

New Rockers

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2005, 11:00 PM

Last photo:

spot blast the rusty areas to remove the corrosion then prime with two-three coats of epoxy primer. Remove any paint and primer from your weld areas and coat them with weld through primer, 3M has about the best weld through coating IMO. Let the weld through coating dry then install your panels and weld them up. When all the work is done and painted spray the inside of the panel with a rust preventative like 3M's rustfighter or Transtar amber coating, these are a cavity wax type spray that coats the inside of your panels to keep them from rusting on the inside.

Another option is to install these parts with panel adhesive which works great for these kind of repairs. With panel adhesive you can actually undercoat the complete interior of the panels except where the adhesive goes then install them, no weld, no burn on the backside. The trick with the adhesive is to fit the parts really well and use backing strips at your cut lines to join the two pieces. I've glued many cab corners and rockers on without ever any problems and they outlast the factory job big time. Fit the parts well because there's no moving them around after the adhesive cures, it's a one shot deal. Bob Sectioning Joints with a backing strip Fusor
Old 12-07-2005, 11:05 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for your reply Bob. My tool arsenal does not currently contain any spot blasting equipment, but maybe I will make a purchase for this project. Would the Speedblaster or Hot Spot from Unitec Manufacturing Corp. be suitable in this situation? It seems to be reasonably priced. Has anyone used this blaster before?
Old 12-07-2005, 01:41 PM

Last photo:

weld thru primer is a heat (welder) activated galvanizing primer, best used on the inside surfaces of overlapped panels that you can't epoxy after welding

doesn't stick well with no heat, use "brush on" just on the welds area for the weld voids

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.