Hot Rod Forum banner

Replacing clutch S10

25K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  tnsmith10 
#1 ·
Hey guys got a question here. A buddy of mine needs his clutch to be replaced in his Chevy S10 2.2 liter. I'm just wondering if there is any special tools I will be needing to do this and if it is pretty easy to do. I would assume it shouldn't be too bad since it is RWD and there is a lot of room to get under there at the bellhousing opposed to a FWD car for example. If any of you have done a clutch on one of these trucks and have some tips I would be pleased to here them.

Thanks,
Keith :)

#3 ·
You're gonna want an alignment tool to position the clutch plate correctly to let the tranny input register w/it and the pilot bearing. You can use an old input, or just pay the ~$10 for a made-for-the-job tool.

You might want to replace the pilot bearing, if the truck has high mileage- just for insurance.

#5 ·
the clutch kit usually comes with an alignment tool (plastic). i reccomend a luk clutch and follow their install directions and it wont fail you.
the 2.2 s-10 is a breeze to do compared to the 4.3L. make sure you unbolt the exhaust behind the x-member so the trans will come down enough to get to the top bellhousing bolts. and undo the shifter from the drivers compartment, once you get past the boot, (if its a nv1500/2500) there will be 4, 8 or 10mm headed bolts that hold the the shifter in place.
as far as the hydraulic line for the clutch, usually the gm's will have a plastic tab with a lip you push in to release the line. and unless you have a plug you can stick in where the driveshaft goes, just drain the fluid in a clean bucket if the fluid isnt very old and fill through shifter hole when you complete the job (odds are its got synthetic and the stuff isnt cheap). if dirty, replace it w/new.
lastly, dont forget to have the flywheel turned, and its highly reccomended to put in hydraulics since your gonna be in there anyways. gl :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.