Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Replacing Door Panel Boards
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 09:09 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Replacing Door Panel Boards

I am working on a '71 Ford Torino convertible right now that needs the door panel boards replaced. The owner ordered replacement panels that are replicas of the originals to the car, but they did not come with the steel top pieces. These needed to be salvaged from the original door panels and attached to the new door panels. Here is that process.

The first thing to do is to remove the chrome trim ferrule that protects the door locking knob. This is a simple job. All that you need to do is bend out the metal teeth that hold the ferrule on from the back side. I just pry the teeth up with a flat screw driver. Some of these ferrules may not be in good shape, so you may need to replace them, but these are solid and will be re-used. The next step is to remove the weatherstripping from the top edge of the door panel. The strips are held on with staples, so there are two ways to go about this. If you're trying to save the weatherstrips, you need to carefully cut the staples. Because I had new strips to work with, I just basically tore the old strips off and cut the staples out afterward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1056.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	56206   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1057.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	56207   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1062.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	56208   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1065.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	56209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1061.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	56210  

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.