The next step is to remove the old panel board from the steel top piece. I just cut through the vinyl on the outside to expose the panel and then cut the panel off with a utility knife. I then remove the rest of the old panel from the steel strip from the back side. The old panel was held on to the steel by a press operation that punched a series of small holes through the steel and the panel board and then crimped each of the holes in the steel onto the Masonite panel board. Because there is no way to duplicate this process, we need to come up with a way to attach the panel board some other way. The simplest way to attach the new board is with top and trim contact adhesive. The problem is to get rid of the punchings through the steel and flatten the edge of the steel to make a better surface for gluing. To do that, I squeeze the punched flanges together with a pliers and then hammer them flat. Gluing will hold the new board to the steel top piece, but it scares me a little to rely on just the contact adhesive. My solution is to use aluminum pop rivets. The problem is that I don't want the back side of the rivet protruding. After gluing the new panel to the steel, I drill some 1/8" holes through the steel and the new panel board, remove the pin from the rivet, push the rivet through the holes from the steel side, and peen over the shank of the aluminum rivet. This provides some mechanical fastening as well as the contact adhesive, and holds the two pieces together just fine.
No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 06-21-2011 at 10:51 AM.