Hot Rod Forum banner

Replacing Floor Boards - No Welding

12K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  baddbob 
#1 ·
I am in the process of restoring my first car, which is a 1980 Camaro Z-28. The car is in decent shape, with the only rust / rot being the floor pans and trunk extensions.

Having spoken to a number of body shop Owners that I know personally, they are recommending that rather than use a welder, I should utilize the new adhesives on the market.

I reviewed some of the threads and have gained alot of knowledge, but I'm hoping that someone remembers a thread on the installation of panels with adhesives that I haven't found yet.

I appreciate the help if someone can direct me in the right directions, either through a thread link or directly to this thread.

I am very new to this, but have basic mechanical ability as well as a great knack at "encouraging" my more knowledgeable friends (who also encourage" me to do contracting work!

Thanks for your time,

Tay

#3 ·
The panels are rusted through. The shop owner (several different shop owners, actually) have said that all new panels are adhesive installed, which is a two part "epoxy" of sorts. They do apply the product, install the panel, and then temporarity screw the panel down to the underlying layer. When it is cured (which depends on the type of epoxy), they remove the screws, fill the holes, and then seam seal.

The other part of the question is how well do the panel offset flange tools work? I think that it would make sense to offset the body and lay the new panel "into" the recess. Any comments?

Thank again,

Tay

#4 ·
This is a very easy procedure and the adhesives to use will be Duramix 60 min or the Fuzor 60min working time cartages, 3M has one but its a three layer process and a waste of time and money so don't use it. I always do full panels to the factory edge so not quit sure what you mean by wanting to flange.
I have done it three ways, with the screws like you were told or with big C clamps and on the 69 gto trunk pan I used my weights to hold down. (Find that in a body shop manual)

Its a simple as grinding a two inch strip on the edge of the panel to be bonded and a two inch strip on the car that it gets bonded to. (Fit and refit many-times first) Shoot a bead on both the new panel about a 1/4 inch dia and same on the car. With a spreader spread out to cover all your 2 inch strip so waterproof and fit panel in and clamp down tight like you were going to weld.
The fuzor has fine beads in there so you can't over-tighten and Duramix does not need beads as 1mil of product is all that required.
Once clamped down any excess, wipe off or spread as a seam sealer.

#6 ·
Here we have separate catagories for structural elements and sheet metal repair. If the part will be carring a structural load, the bonding makers say do not use adheasive alone.
I've done several bonded panel replacements and I avoid the screws. I simply use flush head stainless pop rivets in countersunk holes and leave them in place. The glue squishes out around them when you set them and the whole thing is sealed water-tight.

#8 ·
replacing floor boards, no welding?

Tay- I have been observing posts on the bulletin board for a while now ,and ,for the most part the advice is great ,so I usually keep quiet .But , after observing this ,I felt compelled to respond...
First of all ,Camaros of almost ANY age are a combination of unitized , and regular frame type construction .From the cowl back these cars are ALL unitized construction .That is ,ALL panels should be considered a part of the structural integrity of the car .
I may be wrong , but personally, I would never glue ANY panel to this that is anything other than strictly ornamental , or , a very minor patch panel .The people you have talked to are partially correct...there are many panels that can be glued on . But , considering the panels you want to replace , in the areas that you are talking about ,especially on a Camaro Z ,do yourself a a favor and err on the side of safety .
Sorry I got so long winded, but felt this needed to be said.
Thanks, and good luck in your project !!! F1 Owner:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.