Replacing inner and outer rockers - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010, 02:49 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Replacing inner and outer rockers

Hi. Finally going to start working on my 54 Merc rustbucket. Bought new inner and outer rocker panels but I don't know what order to put them in. Does the inner or outer get installed first? Not even sure if there is enough to weld the inner rocker to. Any and all suggestions will be welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Hot rods are still the king

Last photo:

After I get the old panels out and ever thing is cleaned up I tack in the inner panel then fit the outer if it all fits well then I weld in then inner then the outer but if you dont have solid metal to weld to then you need to replace that section so you will have a good repair
Old 03-18-2010, 02:49 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for your advice. Sounds like the common sense way to do it. I keep looking at this car and wondering if I'm getting in over my head. But the nice thing is I can't hurt it.

Moon
Old 03-19-2010, 08:10 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

What I do is start cutting the original out and installing the outer with drill screws once that is fitted I unscrewit and work farther in (the inner)I screw that together and fix the floor where it is welded to the inner rocker...when the wole assembly is installed with screws and you close the door ,check the gaps and everything is right weld the floor pieces in pull the screws out ,screw the inner in and weld that screw the outer on weld that pull all the screws and weld the holes....But the drill screws are the key,you can put it together and take it apart as many times as you need too and it'll always go back together the same way every time...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5882 (Small).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	44622   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5911 (Small).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	44623   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5915 (Small).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	44624   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5917 (Small).jpg
Views:	64
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	44625   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5912 (Small).jpg
Views:	60
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	44626  

Old 03-19-2010, 08:38 PM

Last photo:

I'm a little confused on your method but like the idea of putting stuff together with screws for trial fitting. Maybe putting the outer on first is the way to go since that is what shows. I'm not doing a 100 point resto so on the stuff that doesn't show, strength is the main thing. Got a car cover coming for the 66 Caprice so I can park it outside. Then the Merc goes inside.

Moon
Old 03-20-2010, 06:54 AM

Sorry Moon.I dont even understand what I wrote......One layer at a time ,dont take it all apart at once....Start with the outer rocker and work your way in....Once everything is screwed together and everything lines up ,weld it all together one piece at a time in the reverse order.You'll be tempted to take your door off,Dont ,you'll need it on to ckeck your gaps but align it as best you can before you start....sometimes you need to replace the hinge bushings first....
Old 03-20-2010, 05:19 PM

Last photo:

Good tip on replacing the hinge bushings, I'll have to check those. The bottom of the cowl on the drivers side moves a little if I pick up on the door when it's open. Thinking of tacking a piece of angle from the drivers side cowl to the pass side cowl. Would be best if everything is stabilized before any fitting is started. After looking at the car it looks as though the horizontal lip of the inner rocker points towards the center of the car and the floor attaches to it. I WILL get this car finished but it's really gonna test me. Would you recommend buying patch panels for the floor or making my own? I have a bead roller to put strengthening ribs in. I'm not concerned with it looking stock from underneath, just neat. The price of the panels plus the shipping starts adding up quick. I also have to make all the brackets that attach to the frame that the floor attaches to. Phew!

Moon
Old 03-20-2010, 05:58 PM

Close the door first then weld a brace in, try the door again to make sure its not binding anywhere.You can always get a sheet metal shop to make some rockers if you can draw in perspective (like a blue print) and measure...Or cut a section out and give it to them.they'll make them long ,all you got to do is trim and fold the edges.but compare prices I make my own but I've been doing it for years its no big deal.I would just buy a set of rockers if I was you it'll be easier...check out peoples opinions of the company you want to use first,for the quality of the parts.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.