Replacing the pan/gasket and changing the fluid - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2004, 11:40 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Replacing the pan/gasket and changing the fluid

Hello, i would like to change the pan on my TH350. Its leaking, old and beat. While im there i would like to change the fliter and flush it. Is there a way i can do this or do i have to go to a tranny shop?. Is there any pan/gaskets/filters that you guys recommend? Its a mild TH350 with a B&M Shift kit. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

It can easilly be done at home, although, you probably won't get all the old fluid out.

Get an aftermarket pan and extended pickup. It will help keep your fluid cooler and prolong tranny life.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:50 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

Get a big drain pan and put a drip pan under it just in case. You might luck out and have a drain plug on the trans. Take the pan off, remove the filter by removing the 2 flat head screws, make sure the old filter gasket is all removed. Toss on the new stuff. Don't use any type of sealant on the gasket. Just put it on dry. Good gaskets have at least 4 holes smaller then the others. Check them when you buy it. You put bolts thru the pan and those holes and it will keep the bolts tite and the gasket lined up. I like cork gaskets others like the rubber ones...paper is junk. Don't over tighten the pan bolts (12ft*lb I think). You should have to put about 8qts of fluid back into it. It doesn't get much easier.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:25 PM

Last photo:

Get a drain plug & add it to the pan. This helps keep ATF out of your face next time. They're $5 or so in the HELP section. Or, if you're lucky, find a pan from a 1970 model T350, which has a drain plug from the factory (on the front, near the right side, where yours may have a flat spot where the drain should go).
Old 09-28-2004, 10:10 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys, yep i have a drain plug. Ive been looking through Summit ect looking for a pan. Is there any type that is better than another? Some are deeper, some say they disapate heat better. I think there was one by TCI and one by B&M. Also how about fluid and filter is there a better filter does K&N make one?
Old 09-29-2004, 12:46 AM

Deep pans are nice if you arn't going to drag them over speed bumps. The aluminum ones with fins cast into them are nice. If you get a deep pan make sure it comes with a spacer.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:57 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Triaged
Get a big drain pan and put a drip pan under it just in case. You might luck out and have a drain plug on the trans. Take the pan off, remove the filter by removing the 2 flat head screws, make sure the old filter gasket is all removed. Toss on the new stuff. Don't use any type of sealant on the gasket. Just put it on dry. Good gaskets have at least 4 holes smaller then the others. Check them when you buy it. You put bolts thru the pan and those holes and it will keep the bolts tite and the gasket lined up. I like cork gaskets others like the rubber ones...paper is junk. Don't over tighten the pan bolts (12ft*lb I think). You should have to put about 8qts of fluid back into it. It doesn't get much easier.
Whoa big fella.
8 quarts is 4 too many.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:24 PM

How about 8 pints

I only did it last week...damn my memory sucks

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.