Hot Rod Forum banner

Replacing part of door skin bottom groove

5K views 39 replies 6 participants last post by  deadbodyman 
#1 ·
I plan on replacing the lower 1/4 portion of the door skin on my 1964 Cadillac sedan deville because Im beginning to get cancer in the lower sections of all 4 doors. I also noticed that cancer has also started to spread to the lower bottom section of the door where there is a groove. (pic attached). I dont have much experience in bending and shaping metal and Im wondering in order not to lose the bottom edge line I can cut right above it and replace the horizontal skin and then replacing the curved piece that runs on the bottom thereafter?
What Im afraid of is if I cut the entire lower 1/4 section of the door skin along with the bottom grooved piece, will I lose the structure of the door? I hope this is not a stupid question and it makes some sense since Im most likely not using the correct terminology.

Attachments

See less See more
#34 · (Edited)
That's actually pretty darn good....
I've found that trying to make a patch that's close work, takes more time then starting all over again so If you don't like it do it over ,you'll be surprised how much better and easier it is the second time around....Doing a front patch with the door on makes for a very tough time of it though...Just remember time is not an issue, enjoy every minute ,think about what it is your doing next before you get there....I can tell already you have what it takes and can do this so try it a second time starting from scratch.... BTW this would be a good time to do something about that rust inside the door before you start welding it on...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.