Hot Rod Forum banner

replacing rod bolts,

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  roys63 
#1 ·
My 400 small block has a stock cast crank, it has been cut 20/20 before I got it and I am wondering if I should even bother with messing with the usual modifications on the stock short rods? The rods have stock bolts in them and I am tempted to go with some arp bolts but Iwould think that the rods may need remachining if rod bolts are pressed off? This engine has an older design cam with solids a crane zip .510 and does pull to a self imposed redline of 5800, should I button it back together as is? It is apart just for a new oil pan with a windage tray and the finish on the crank and bearings looks good as is. any ideas? and is this max safe rpm for this set up?

#5 ·
Thanx Bobcrmanh

Thanx Bob , My hesitation is that I have seen some sorry rod rebuilders out there where they want to resize rods but only surface the cap side (probably cause they did not want to pull bolts) In any event your advise and knowledge are greatly appreciated I am sure wondering if the short chevy 400 rods would live past 6000 for any amount of time due to the rod angle. PS do you run a machine shop??? feel free to pm me thanx..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.