repop panels - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2007, 06:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

repop panels

What brand do you guys use. I have used goodmark in the past and thought they were a bit full of themselves as far as quality goes. On my latest project I used panels from ground up restorations, I am terribly dissatisfied. The packaging for the hood looked satisfactory and was not damaged during shiping. Here is the catch Both rear corners were bent down and it seems abnormally wavy. I went ahead and dry fit it and did the metalwork to get the gaps right and fix the corners.I also had to build up a weld on the front corners to sharpen them as they were none existant. My question is what panels do you guys use and how much work should you expect on a brand new hood. I guess I'm just pissed that I've got 25 or so hours in a new part and the entire project has taking 5 times as long as it should. OH yea Its a 67 chevelle mock super sport that with have a tpi 350 and 700r4.

Kris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0009.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	19031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0011.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	19032  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
I have to tell you Kris, I have installed my fair share of repro panels, DDI was the worse, my God they were junk. But I have to qoute an old friend of mine..

"When they say exactly as original in the catalog if they were honest they would say similar to original, can be used if nothing else is available"

I can't agree more, if you can find an original panel, damaged or not, it is going to be better than 99% or the repro panels.

I have made it a habit to feel repro bodies that I see at the shows for sale. You know the ones, the steel Model A's and Dueces and the like as well as the new repro Mustangs, Camaros and 57 Chevys. Every single one I have felt are VERY, VERY rough. I am talking needing a skim coat of filler over the WHOLE thing. Some would even require shrinking and serious work prior to filler. Every single one of them I have felt, JUNK.

I tried a Model A fender once, sent it back and repaired an original. Same with Mustangs. On my sister-in-laws I put a repro hood, it stayed there a few years. When I was repainting the car I traded the "straight" repro hood for a damaged original and fixed it. It looks SOOOOO much better with that original one.

Cut to the chase, they will likely (maybe not every one) rough and you will have to live with it.

Brian
Old 03-05-2007, 07:00 PM

Down at the body shop they installed goodmark quarters and outer wheelhouses on a 1969 camaro.The quarters were pretty good but didn't fit real good by the top of the door,minor problem. the goodmark wheelhouses were total crap. Had to cut , beat and weld to get close.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:33 AM

Last photo:

In my experience any re pop is a hit or miss proposition... I sometimes go to what some would call extreme lengths to use original sheet metal...
Old 09-20-2012, 10:45 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

what I've noticed is that certain areas that are formed will cause subsequent imperfections next to it, as if the mold isn't nearly as good as the original mold from factory. Like if you have an area where there's a big compound curve, instead of the mold correctly distributing the surrounding metal that has to go somewhere the aftermarket mold will have imperfections where the metal isn't pressed to go somewhere and it will be bulged or be low. You just get the feeling that not only is the mold a different size with differing sharpness on bodylines, it will also have an incomplete mold.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,247 Posts
Most repops I have used, be they GM or Ford are just near fit....If you are lucky. They give an experienced body man something to work from. Rarely can they be used as is. It is hard to predict which ones will be better or worse but I have never bought one that was great.

John L
Old 09-20-2012, 10:33 PM

Last photo:

I get a real kick out of the way they market this SO CALLED original stamped GM sheetmetal. GM lets them use their licenseing rights to sell it as "GM" sheetmetal........thats it. No they are not using the "original stamped dies" from GM as so many will have you think they are. Those dies are long gone. And does anyone really think for a second that some small time aftermarket company will have the resources that a big company like GM will have to make the tooling that percise to be able to make crisp flawless bodylines or a perfectly straight ripple free panel, it just aint going to happen. So we just have to deal with "straightening out" a new panel or fix the originals.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:14 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr4speed View Post
I get a real kick out of the way they market this SO CALLED original stamped GM sheetmetal. GM lets them use their licenseing rights to sell it as "GM" sheetmetal........thats it. No they are not using the "original stamped dies" from GM as so many will have you think they are. Those dies are long gone. And does anyone really think for a second that some small time aftermarket company will have the resources that a big company like GM will have to make the tooling that percise to be able to make crisp flawless bodylines or a perfectly straight ripple free panel, it just aint going to happen. So we just have to deal with "straightening out" a new panel or fix the originals.
We had some aftermarket panels that were toted as "GM stamped" and it was a hood and fenders for a 69 Camaro. I'll just say there was slices, welds, and skim coats on the entire tops of the fenders and entire hood.

Just today we had a brand new aftermarket lower valliance for a 69 GTO and it fit like garbage. Once I had both sides loosely on the fenders the bolt holes to the bottom of the support were so off I would have had to weld them shut and drill new ones. I just took it off and used the old one he gave us. It fit like a glove.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:52 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

If I cant get a nice used panel I always go with Goodmark but I've learned to spend the extra cash and get things like full 1/4's insted of the smaller patch panels, the fit is much ,much better (although still not perfect) ,in the end its cheaper to get the panel that has the highest price ,you'll save a lot of labor.
The last panel I bought from Goodmark was a 69 Z28 cowel ind.hood, it only had a few waves around the outer edges that two coats of EZ sand took care of.the corners wernt as tight but were good enough and the welds and edges were a little jagged and needed a little attention but all in all It was a pretty darn good hood. Much better than I expected...
That said, be very caerful when buying used panels as factory,chances are pretty good they arnt, they're just used repops,you have to look very close underneath at the inner structure , sharp, burred or jagged edges and rough spot welds are a good clue its an aftermarket piece thats been redone...
On the other hand I've never found any after market front fenders that fit good enough from anywhere for these cars and always rebuild them which usually means making bottom rear and bottom front where the valance bolts to and sometimes the support brace needs rebuilding too but rebuilding the front fenders has always been the fun part for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5544.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	804.3 KB
ID:	67985  

Last edited by deadbodyman; 09-21-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

For the Mustang, I pretty much only get Dynacorn parts now. I've actually been able to compare some Dynacorn sheet metal to non-Dynacorn sheet metal of the same part (because I've re-replaced some of the sheet metal on my car with Dynacorn panels.) So I'm not speaking blindly; this is actually a controlled comparison to some degree.

The Dynacorn panels aren't perfect, but they aren't terrible either. My general experience has been that they fit right on like a glove but you may have to trim some here and drill this out there.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.