repriming over existing primer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2005, 08:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

repriming over existing primer

I started my project 10 plus years ago and had body work done and the entire truck primered. over the course of the build I have done modifications such as shaved door handles and installed a fuel door and just used spray can primer to protect the area of the work done, now i want to reprime the truck until i can afford to put the final paint job on it. I have been told that i should rough up the old primer with 180 grit paper then i will be able to put a fresh coat of primer on the truck. The truck has been garaged all these years while i worked on it so the original primer is not weather beaten. Is 180 grit the right grade paper to accomplish this task. Any help regarding this is appreciated.

Thanks JmI

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2005, 08:21 PM

Last photo:

What kind of primer is on the truck now?
Old 07-15-2005, 01:59 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Not knowing what is on the truck now and the fact that you have used spray can primer on it, I would recommend taking it it all off. The biggest reason I say this is just to make sure the metal underneath isn't rusting. If the truck was sprayed with a laquer type primer, moisture will permeate to the metal through the porous primer. Taking it all off is the only way to make sure you aren't painting over rust when you get to the topcoat.
Besides, this is a good blocking excersize and it will help to get the panels flat. Once you have the metal ready shoot an epoxy primer to seal up the body panels and then move on to a good primer/surfacer to finish up the blocking.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:27 PM

I agree with astroracer.
Take whats on there back off, and if you can shoot it with some etching primer. Something else to consider when working on projects as the different kinds of rattle can primer you use. I found this out the hardway. When using primer try to stay with the same brand, otherwise your primer will "lift" and you have to re-sand again.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:09 PM

Last photo:

Take all of the rattle can primer off and don't ever bother to use any again IMO. Rattle cans are for used car type work if you don't have a conscience. If there is lacquer primer I'd also strip that off as well. As already suggested apply some epoxy primer over your bare metal then a primer surfacer on top of that. Lacquer products just don't hold up, all aerosol products are a 1K also- junk IMO.

Most people put a whole lot of time in these projects, there's no sense in wasting all of your time because of product failure.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.