Repro Early Ford Spindles - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2007, 08:29 AM
My compass doesn't point North

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Repro Early Ford Spindles

One of the sellers on eBay is offering ..."new drop forged 4140 steel spindles for 1928 to 1948 Ford with 1937 - 1941 king pins these are the same spindles sold by speedway motors.....

When I asked what counrty they were made in he said they were made in the USA by Super Bell.

A couple of points to ponder;

Speedway sells, Super Bell axles, but not their spindles.

Speedway sells Mr. Roadster (house brand) spindles which they claim are forged, not cast.

Much of Mr. Roadster stuff is cheap chinese communinst crap.

Super Bell's spindles are cast, not forged.

No company I have found claims to make forged 4140 steel spindles.

These ebay spindles - whatever they're made out of or how they're made or where they're made don't have have bushings installed or fit or included. The grease fitting holes look like they are too close to the edge of the king pin boss.

I wonder if these didin't fall off the back of a truck or out of a container somewhere. At least they aren't too expensive.

My preference is the forged spindles by Chassis Engineering.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2007, 09:48 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

My preference is original FORD spindles ... AMERICAN made ... back in the day ...

I like the 42 to 48 Ford ones ... good stuff ... from FORD ... and fairly common and easy to find. Always a few sets on eBay if you do not want to hunt ...

The 37 to 41 spindles have a round back ... the 42 to 48 have a square back ... I prefer the square back ones ... because I upgrade the brakes to a 53 to 56 Ford F-100 ... but the round back ones will work also.

here for the entire article ...

http://www.flatheadv8.org/f1brakes1.htm
Old 11-04-2007, 05:39 PM

Last photo:

Hey Deuce, thanks for that input. So.... the '42 - '48 spindles are interchangeable as far as fitment to the axle?

I have (as I've been told) '36 original spindles for which I made caliper brackets. After buying a Chassis Engineering dropped tube axle, I discovered my spindles don't fit the axle - nor do the CE steering arms fit my spindles.

I can make new caliper brackets for the correct, '37-'41 spindles when I buy them, but I would like to confirm the '42-'48's will also fit the axle. This will give me greater latitude when looking for spindles. And since I machine the caliper brackets, it makes no difference to me if the spindle backs are round or square.

By the way, CE spindles are offered in GM or Chrysler wheel bearing diameters on the spindle snout to eliminate the need for the bearing spacers I made, heat treated and pressed on my spindles. I don't see where you can buy these spacers separately from the complete brake kits offered by CE or Speedway or ????

Last edited by Dugg; 11-04-2007 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
....The 37 to 41 spindles have a round back ... the 42 to 48 have a square back ... I prefer the square back ones ... because I upgrade the brakes to a 53 to 56 Ford F-100 ... but the round back ones will work also......
I am sorry..I found that very funny to read.

The guys on other sites with early F-100s want to upgrade their brakes from stock to disc. Yet your upgrading to the F-100 brakes.....

Mine is still drum/drum, but I have a power booster and dual reservoir master cylinder under the floorboard.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_B

The guys on other sites with early F-100s want to upgrade their brakes from stock to disc. Yet your upgrading to the F-100 brakes.....
The 53 - 56 F-100 drum brakes are as good as drum brakes get. They are self energizing ... are 11 inch diameter and parts are easy to find.

Disc are better ... no argument
But the F-100 brakes are designed for a 3,000 plus pounds truck that was rated at 1000 lbs. load carrying capacity ... 4,000 pounds. My roadster weighs 2240 pounds ... so I have adequate brakes ... and they LOOK correct on my ole timey 32 Roadster.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
The 53 - 56 F-100 drum brakes are as good as drum brakes get. They are self energizing ... are 11 inch diameter and parts are easy to find.

Disc are better ... no argument
But the F-100 brakes are designed for a 3,000 plus pounds truck that was rated at 1000 lbs. load carrying capacity ... 4,000 pounds. My roadster weighs 2240 pounds ... so I have adequate brakes ... and they LOOK correct on my ole timey 32 Roadster.

I know. I just was laughing when I read the post above about mine being the upgrade. The drum brakes work fine on my truck. I see no need to upgrade and parts are easy to get. Just walk into NAPA and look in the books. Usually, they have them on the shelf in the back room.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:17 AM

Last photo:

So, I'm still wondering........ will '42-'48 spindles fit the axle the way the '37-'41 spindles fit? Same king pins, bearings?
Old 11-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugg
So, I'm still wondering........ will '42-'48 spindles fit the axle the way the '37-'41 spindles fit? Same king pins, bearings?

YES ...

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.