requested of you old or present dragracers - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 02:11 AM

Last journal entry: Garrell's rides
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

requested of you old or present dragracers

Dragstrips are a dieing breed, land values have increased, until the present economy, development has crowded them out and zoning codes have changed.Now tell us about the grassroots dragstrips you used to run that are now bellyup or still exist. I will start:
Southeastern International Dragway, Dallas, Georgia. Built and opened in 1955 and ran weekly in good weather until closing in 2002 to become a strip shopping center. All of the old stars used to run there,Gartlis, Prudhomme, Dyno Don, Grumpy. But sadly it is best remembered as the site where Richard Petty when campaining a Barricuda one year because Chrysler boycotted Nascar, crashed into the crowd and killed one boys I think and injured numerous. Bill Elliot used to run often when he could. I ran there from 1968 to 1975, have the pictures but cannot remember it at all.

Paradise Dragstrip inside the city limits of Calhoun, Georgia. Built by Otto Timms with his own hands and equipment in 1961 in his cotton field. Started a big fifty anniversary last year but Mr. Timms passed away in March. It is operated by Mrs. Timms and her entire family and they vow it will never close, great place to run or visit.

Garrell

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 05:56 AM

Last photo:

Detroit Dragway,. Motor City Dragway, northeast of Detroit,. Onandaga Dragway, south of Lansing,. M-37 Dragway, northwest Mich,. Tri-City Dragway, south of Midland,. Grattan, mid Mich,.

Used to race at all of these places. A promoter tried to re-open Onandaga last year but couldn't get zoning.

Also used to go to Thunderbird raceway, Muskegon. Don't know if they have regular drags anymore.

Still operating, Ubley,. Lapeer Dragway,. Milan Dragway, US 131, Martin Mich,. Mid-Michigan Motorplex (oldest strip in the state),. Northern Mich dragstrip, Kaleva Mi..
Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

We have two local dragstrips within a short driving distance. Portland Intl. Raceway, and Woodburn Dragstrip. When I was racing Woodburn was the place to go, even though PIR came later, and was much closer.
PIR used to be an area where there were old concrete runways, or roads when I was in hi school. I think it may have been a small runway, but we used to hold our own little drag races there every Tues. night. Every Tues. the cops would show up and eventually run us off, but never any arrests unless someone was drinking and under age. Eventually they shut it down due to complaints from the neighbors several miles away. Then in the late 60's it opened as a real dragstrip.
Woodburn was the place where all the oldtimers raced and it just was an old pasture that was built into a real strip. Pretty basic at first, but eventually it got nice grandstands and all the amenities.
Both strips are still active, and still have a good attendance. PIR holds Wed. night 1/8 mile all summer, and a huge car show too. We get over 1200 hotrods there every Wed. for the car show when the weather gets good!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:26 AM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

We just lost a few local tracks, drag, oval and circle:

Irwindale Speedway: "Irwindale Speedway closes". "And that makes three: Irwindale Speedway closing". Never raced down the track but did a lot of photography there. Despite the traffic (those who have driven the 605 North approaching the 10 fwy during evening rush hour know what I am talking about), I was still able to go there on Thursday Night Thunder and enjoy a good show.

Orange Show Speedway: "Another track closes. Does anyone care?"

Victorville Raceway Park: "The future of racing at another SoCal locale looks bleak"

Lets hope that the Auto Club Speedway remains open.

Last edited by lt1silverhawk; 02-27-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:06 PM

Last photo:

I first went to Lions Drag Strip in 1958 and saw ALL the big guns, then it closed down in '72....we had San Fernando....Irwindale....Santa Ana....Oceanside....Orange County and probably a couple others I can't think of.....all closed down.

Did I mention Lions??? man what a great place, no frills but some of the greatest racing you ever saw. Stone-Woods & Cook vs. Big John Mazmanian.....Greer-Black & Prudhomme vs. Garlits......Winged Express vs. Pure Hell.....Ramchargers vs. Landy's Dodge.

Sorry, I slipped back into my fond memory bank for a few seconds, man did I say Lions was a great place!!! What a shame these strips are all just memories.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:18 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

it was talked about for a while, and I doubted it would happen

BUT......
we just got a new racing park (multiple tracks, road and drag etc.)
http://www.ridgemotorsportspark.com/ only about 10 miles from my house

its a nice surprise to get new stuff built and opening up, when others are all closing
Old 02-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,074 Times in 958 Posts
Mine was the Fremont Drag strip, lots of good memories there. From my dad taking me as a kid to me riding my bike and leaning it up against the fence to climb over for free, to grudge matches with my truck in highschool to Gran Sport later on, to the "Last drags" (still have the sweat shirt) in 1988 when they knocked it down to build a strip mall. FRIGGIN STRIP MALLS, I HATE THEM!

Saw all the biggies there, man was it wonderful to have something like that in town. I use to put the slicks on and uncap the headers and drive from my shop to the track, and that's about 5 miles! LOL, man do I have great memories of that place.

Those large buildings in the back of the photo, that's the GM plant where my Gran Sport was made!

In this photo to the left you see the hills with "Mission Peak" just off the photo to the left, I hike to the top all the time now. I would rather be at the drags.

In this shot you can see the air strip that was right next door and the drive in theater over to the right.

Brian

Old 02-27-2012, 07:17 PM

Last journal entry: Garrell's rides
Last photo:

old or present racers

I wasn't sure how many members had dragstrip experience but we all are gearheads and modern day hotrodders and were probably exposed to a track somewhere, sometime. The fifty tear old track,Paradise Dragstrip, that I spoke of in my post is just like turnimg back time. They have three show n go events each year with old nostalgia gassers, fummy cars etc. running and a large car show as well as a very large parts meet. When I retire from landspeed racing after May first I am going to run my truck and my Corvette as much as possible.

Garrell
Old 02-28-2012, 02:19 PM

Last photo:

I was just a grudge match racer, never had a dedicated drag car, and though I have no regrets about anything in life (we make decisions with information we have at the time) the one thing that gets close to a regret was not having a digger or altered of some sort. My brother and I at the time had shops next to one another, we built a lot of cars together and talked about a dragster, but it never happened. There were lots of them around, you could get real reasonable priced rail without a motor and trans, they would come up for sale all the time. Damn I wish we would have done one.

Brian
Old 02-29-2012, 09:27 AM

dragsip

Wow, lots of memories , our strip was known as Rivergrade Road, later became San Gabriel Drags strip and eventually Erwindale Raceway, we all started being regulars around 1958 and at first mostly grudge racers , Chevy's against the flathead Fords,,the track got the reputation of being fast and AA fueler's : Big Daddy Don Garlets, TV Tommy Ivo, The Snake Don Prudome, and lots like them started showing up,, lots of fun ,, they were doing 160mph and we thought they had topped out ,, One of my good buddies had found a 41 Willis p/u in somebodies back yard and made the deal, of course we took it to the drags even though the clutch was slipping , ( bad ), at the end of the race we discovered a note attached to the windshield , " if interested in selling please give me a call " signed , Don Garlets, there was no living with my buddy after that, Even though we all claimed to have forged the note, which I'm sure he has stashed away with all the good stuff. jim
Old 02-29-2012, 10:29 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hastobecool
Wow, lots of memories , our strip was known as Rivergrade Road, later became San Gabriel Drags strip and eventually Erwindale Raceway, we all started being regulars around 1958 and at first mostly grudge racers , Chevy's against the flathead Fords,,the track got the reputation of being fast and AA fueler's : Big Daddy Don Garlets, TV Tommy Ivo, The Snake Don Prudome, and lots like them started showing up,, lots of fun ,, they were doing 160mph and we thought they had topped out ,, One of my good buddies had found a 41 Willis p/u in somebodies back yard and made the deal, of course we took it to the drags even though the clutch was slipping , ( bad ), at the end of the race we discovered a note attached to the windshield , " if interested in selling please give me a call " signed , Don Garlets, there was no living with my buddy after that, Even though we all claimed to have forged the note, which I'm sure he has stashed away with all the good stuff. jim

Did one of you guys write it? Or was it really Don, you never know! I have mentioned how I brought a pair of vintage NOS 16" hard rubber Dragmasters to the StreetRod Drags at Fremont Dragstrip a year or so before it was closed in 1988. I had them in the back of my truck out in the pits with a for sale sign on them. My buddy suggested we give them to Don so we tracked down Don at his pit and asked him if he wanted them for his museum that was just getting started. He was about to push the Swamp Rat II up to the staging lanes for an exhibition pass so I helped, my buddy and I helped push the car up to the staging area and then he walked back thru the pits to my truck to see the slicks. I will never forget walking with "my buddy" Don in his fire suit back to my truck. He was thrilled to get them (though his pit crew weren't thrilled about having to find a place for them on the trailer!) and he gave me and my buddy autographed shirts. It was funny because as I was pushing this car I looked down to see the seat belts had an NHRA inspection tag from 1957 on them! He was still running his top fueler then and had just broke 270. The Swamp Rat ran 160 that day. Isn't that hilarious, he was running 160 mph yet on his other car he was a HUNDRED miles an hour faster. Wild

On a side note when we got to my truck some other guy was there that Don knew I don't remember his name but he owned the Russ Davis Ford Mustang at the time. When I gave the slicks to Don, he was TICKED and threw his soda on the ground and walked away.

Brian
Old 02-29-2012, 11:54 AM

Long Island National speedway, It was I believe one of or the only 4 lane track of its day. Mom worked the concession stand and dad was a guard at the gate I was there every day of 1966. I was 8 years old so the drivers love to have me sit in their cars I sat in big daddy Don's swamp rat, The little red wagon, L.A. dart and a bunch of others. It closed down then everyone went to Westhampton and that closed down a few years ago. So now it is to New Jersey. I have since moved off the Island but these were amazing memories. One memory I was standing at the starting line an old gasser pulled the wheels made a right turn right towards me behind the fence and someone grabbed me and pulled me out of the way.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockragtop
Long Island National speedway, It was I believe one of or the only 4 lane track of its day. Mom worked the concession stand and dad was a guard at the gate I was there every day of 1966. I was 8 years old so the drivers love to have me sit in their cars I sat in big daddy Don's swamp rat, The little red wagon, L.A. dart and a bunch of others. It closed down then everyone went to Westhampton and that closed down a few years ago. So now it is to New Jersey. I have since moved off the Island but these were amazing memories. One memory I was standing at the starting line an old gasser pulled the wheels made a right turn right towards me behind the fence and someone grabbed me and pulled me out of the way.
Holy crap getting to sit in those cars! I'd by a ticket for that! HOLY CRAP!

Brian
Old 02-29-2012, 12:09 PM

drags

The offer came from Don, up untill then none of us really shared our buddies enthusiasm for the p/u, that all changed of course after the offer,it became the main ride from then on (with the slipping clutch ),, Thanks for sharing your story, really fun stuff
Old 02-29-2012, 03:35 PM

Last photo:

I grew up in central Illinois. I was hooked on rods and customs.. model cars... and car magazines by age ten. By the age of thirteen, a buddy convinced his mom to take us to Indy for the US Nationals! That event was it for me. I would be a drag racer! I started with street cars... built my own engines for many years, helped build a local B/Gas Austin that ran on the national record, but eventually (40 years ago) I got distracted by custom painting, and was taken over by another car obsession! I never lost that early passion for drag racing.

During the era from '62 to '75 I attended every Indy US Nationals... but also haunted other local tracks. I've been to US 30... the four lane track west of Chicago... the eighth mile at Paris, Illinois... and my favorite local track was the 1/8th miler at Charleston, Illinois. That was in the day when you could see all of the big dogs on tour... even at the small tracks!!! Between Indy and Charleston, I saw everyone who was anyone in drag racing!!!

IN '75, I moved to Tucson, and became a regular in their stands for the Altered Nationals and AHRA Winternationals. Also got up to Firebird in Phoenix many times. Eventually the old Tucson track was closed, and now we have a nice facility further south. NHRA recently dropped them... so they went IHRA. No more serious Pro racing here now. I hope that changes, if IHRA can get established enough in the western US. WE'll see.

Today the closest I get is to occasionally paint a race car. I have a Fuel Altered pending right now.... and another Canadian Altered that will eventually sport one of my designs. AT least I get to see them go downtrack in my colors. :-)

Anyway... I miss those crazy days of racing in the '60s and '70s. It will never be the same again. {:-(

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.