Rescued or Should have Been - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 08:07 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
It's all too often that we do these things. I try to use the stuff I have, family "heirlooms", I'll be damned if I am going to let them sit in a box in the attic, I use my grandmothers dishes! I have things that a lot of people would have "put away" out to enjoy. My sister almost crapped when I told her I have our Nana's dishes in my cupboard and using them every day. What better thing to do than to celebrate her by using them? I have special things that when I use them I see those people who have left this earth, I enjoy them once more. I am not perfect by a million miles in this regard and recently I came across some blankets my mom and Nana made that I had all safe in the top of one of my closest. I took pictures of all of them and sent the pictures to my sister, my son and daughter and niece and asked which ones they wanted and got them to them, and told them to put them out, enjoy them.

Sell those cars and clear out that yard (your wife will love you) and BUILD the one you save.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
It's all too often that we do these things. I try to use the stuff I have, family "heirlooms", I'll be damned if I am going to let them sit in a box in the attic, I use my grandmothers dishes! I have things that a lot of people would have "put away" out to enjoy. My sister almost crapped when I told her I have our Nana's dishes in my cupboard and using them every day. What better thing to do than to celebrate her by using them? I have special things that when I use them I see those people who have left this earth, I enjoy them once more. I am not perfect by a million miles in this regard and recently I came across some blankets my mom and Nana made that I had all safe in the top of one of my closest. I took pictures of all of them and sent the pictures to my sister, my son and daughter and niece and asked which ones they wanted and got them to them, and told them to put them out, enjoy them.

Sell those cars and clear out that yard (your wife will love you) and BUILD the one you save.

Brian
And thats the way it should be. Enjoy them! Thats what they are for. Our enjoyment.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:53 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

LOL ,I only pulled them out for pictures i have 7 acers so they are not in sight in buildings and under sheds,Most, i see people who Hoard them never fix or sell them ,thats why i call it Rescuing cars ,I buy them some i start rebuilding some i get finished some i sell in progress,Most people want to buy unfinished so they can build to their taste some original some not ,I can sell a unfinished car much faster than a finsed car ,mabe price mabe they want it there way Like Elvis.lol,i probable will keep some that i have finished and 1 Original Z28 Pace Car with 03102 niles not a typo ,it still has original plastic over houndstooth interior and plastic over carpetis original never ben titled bill of orign only never sat in back seat never washed wiyh soap .just rinced with water and dried down/ Only occasionaly taken to shows it would be hard to sell this and see some one start driving it and destroying a peice of history .IMO
Old 02-12-2013, 02:58 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

As far as I'm concerned, I rescued my '65 C-10, though it doesn't have the same kind of appeal or value as a coupe from that era. It was "heavily modified" by people of "ill repute". You know all the standard stuff: Wacky paint job, joint compound and scrim tape for body filler covering all dents and holes, no interior and all the wiring replaced with speaker wire.

It was rough.

I picked it up for $650, it was a decent long bed pickup with a 350 and manual trans and most of the body panels. Over time I've managed to find all new interior chrome, a replacement bench seat, traded the fleetside long bed for a step long bed, and traded the smogger 350 for a 455 olds. Next thing is the transmission. The SM420 is going and I'm replacing it with a st-10 or Muncie. Whichever I can get the best deal on.

It still needs a lot of body work, the front crossmember is going to be replaced with a more modern one, and other little odds and ends. I just want to get it out there shredding tires and then worry about the other stuff as I can.

My dad is a "bit" of a hoarder, but since I'm going to be the one to end up with whatever he doesn't finish, I'm trying to get my two projects off the ground (i also have an 80's Caprice sedan that was my "first" car and that my family has owned since brand new that I'm working into being a daily driver again)

Here's a shot of the truck from my garage that I just took. Not pretty, but all I see is potential.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65 project c-10.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	524.0 KB
ID:	71274  
Old 02-12-2013, 06:21 PM

I knew a guy that had a 66 chevelle, SS, 396, 4 spd. It had factory air, PB, and power windows. He parked it back on a ridge and wouldn't sell it because him and his wife dated in it. It set back there and rusted comptetely away, and later him and his wife divorced. I found my 72 chevelle SS clone in Tenn. at a Rod Run. It had a 307, 350 turbo with 87000 miles. Body has had no panels repaired, painted once, interior is stock except he had the seats recovered. It still has original bumpers and chrome in good shape. I paid $14000 for it and could have sold it before I got home. Very seldom I run up on a deal.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie5.7 View Post
As far as I'm concerned, I rescued my '65 C-10, though it doesn't have the same kind of appeal or value as a coupe from that era. It was "heavily modified" by people of "ill repute". You know all the standard stuff: Wacky paint job, joint compound and scrim tape for body filler covering all dents and holes, no interior and all the wiring replaced with speaker wire.

It was rough.

I picked it up for $650, it was a decent long bed pickup with a 350 and manual trans and most of the body panels. Over time I've managed to find all new interior chrome, a replacement bench seat, traded the fleetside long bed for a step long bed, and traded the smogger 350 for a 455 olds. Next thing is the transmission. The SM420 is going and I'm replacing it with a st-10 or Muncie. Whichever I can get the best deal on.

It still needs a lot of body work, the front crossmember is going to be replaced with a more modern one, and other little odds and ends. I just want to get it out there shredding tires and then worry about the other stuff as I can.

My dad is a "bit" of a hoarder, but since I'm going to be the one to end up with whatever he doesn't finish, I'm trying to get my two projects off the ground (i also have an 80's Caprice sedan that was my "first" car and that my family has owned since brand new that I'm working into being a daily driver again)

Here's a shot of the truck from my garage that I just took. Not pretty, but all I see is potential.
You probably already know that a 71 or 72 chevy c10 front crossmember will bolt in and you will have ps disc brakes, and 5 lug wheels
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
Valkyrie5.7 (02-12-2013)
Old 02-13-2013, 11:05 AM

Last photo:

1972 Gran Torino Sport 351C and C6.. parked in a barn for over 20 years.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

A couple that needs help
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	445.0 KB
ID:	71948   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	71949  
Old 03-03-2013, 05:22 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Look ,Theres a nice olds next to that trailer,behind the truck ....
Old 03-03-2013, 06:36 AM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Yea i think it is a 64 mostly complete ,this guy has probably 20 or so restorable cars that he is selling, these are a few he moved up next to highway to sell ,i am thinking about one of the wagons ,he has 4 chevys 56 and 3 57 this nomad he has ALL the parts to complete he has them at home ,(to keep them from walkin off )i wii try to post a couple more pictures ,if i can im having problems posting again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	429.7 KB
ID:	71950   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Size:	725.1 KB
ID:	71951  
Old 03-03-2013, 07:01 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

any coupes from the 40's ???
Old 03-03-2013, 07:14 AM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

I realy dont know ,but i am going over to his house sometime this week ,i will check and see, If not i have a freind who is selling some of his collection which are in different states of condition,some are Original ,some restored some unrestored and some needing restered .He has about 40 cars in buildings at home,and he estimated 90 cars at sattelite locations,all different years20-60s ,some are movie cars some just nice DRIVERS ,a few show cars,he rents them out to movies ,but he said he is in late 70 so he is going to slow down some not stop.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:43 AM

Last journal entry: Getting it together.
Last photo:

I would love that more-door longroof!!! sweet '56
Old 03-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceKoukalaka View Post
X2 .......
Old 03-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceKoukalaka View Post
its 1500 dollars.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.