resetting fuel pump switch on taurus... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2004, 07:30 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

resetting fuel pump switch on taurus...

how do i reset the fuel pump shut-off switch on a 93 taurus? i found the "switch" at the rear left ,above the wheelwheel. how do i reset?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2004, 08:08 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

push the button. it'll click.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:14 PM

the button does not seem to be up,although it is red. do you know where the fuel pump fuse is at? i know there are fuses under the steering wheel, and under the driver side windshield area, under the hood. is there any other location for fuses? the car does not want to start. it does have spark. i pressed in a tire valve piece ,and no gas came out. turned the key to on, but i couldn't hear a fuel pump.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:16 PM
OddJob

Last photo:

That switch is hard to push. And it never does stick out very far. Push untill you feel and hear it click.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:20 PM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

Take a rubber mallet and hit the support that it is mounted on. When it trips you will hear a slight rattle and the red button will come up to the surface level of the housing, then push it down to hear it click. For TESTING PURPOSES ONLY you can disconnect the 2 pin connector at the bottom of the switch and install a jumper. To check for power install a test light on the jumper and check for power on both sides of the switch for 2 seconds after you turn on the key. The light should lite then go off after 2 sec.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:54 PM

well, i checked the connection. it seems i get 9.85 volts constantly. i did use a jumper, no pump sound. is there a fuse or relay i can also check before i buy a fuel pump? also, is there an aftermarket one i can use that might be better and cheaper to buy? thanks, 2- many toyzs
Old 10-28-2004, 11:42 PM

Last photo:

Couple of concerns here. There should be 12v at the inertia switch for only 2 sec after turning the key to run position with the engine off. Of course with the engine running it should be constant 12v. Here is what I do to check the system. Take an extra battery and jumper wires and connect Batt - to the body somewhere in the trunk. Batt + to the inertia switch, should be a pink/black or brown/pink wire to the fuel pump. Hard to say because ford used different configurations (some relays were before the inertia switch and some were after). Disconnect the 2 pin connector at the inertia switch and try B+ on both sides of the connector. It doesnt matter if you get the wrong side, you wont burn anything up. BTW what colors ar the wires at the inertia switch? If you have a long jumper wire you can run the B+ wire from the battery to the trunk and jump the inertia switch with B+ and listen to see if the fuel pump runs. I just changed the pump on my turbo tbird. The Ford one was $170 and the aftermarket "kit" was only $35. I'll see if I can find a wiring diagram for a 93 Taurus tomorrow.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:15 AM

Last photo:

OK I found a 92 CD. The power comes from the PCM pin 8 (pink/black wire) to the inertia switch then to the fuel pump thru another pink/black wire. If you cant get the fuel pump to run by jumping it directly you need to pull the tank and check the electrical connector on top of the tank. Sometimes fuel will leak on the connector and destroy it. If it is OK then suspect the pump.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:46 PM

how do i find out if i have a 16.5 gallon or 18 gallon tank? i can't turn it on or drive it
Old 11-08-2004, 04:03 PM

well, i dropped the tank, put 12 volts to the pump and it seems to work. what else can i check? is there any relays or fuses?
Old 11-08-2004, 08:46 PM

Last photo:

Your vehicle probably uses the Constant (Integrated) Relay Control Module (CCRM) located under the plastic shield in the left front of the engine compartment.
Check your fuses in the engine compartment fuse box first. Then go to the relay module and check the pink/black wire for power when turning on the key for the first 2 sec. If no power there try jumping the pink black/wire with a 12 v source to see if the fuel pump runs.
The CCRM has a 24 pin connector on it. All the relays for the EEC system are in that module.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:51 PM

2-manytoyzs,the left front, as in the driver's side , near the headlight, or near the firewall? i couldn't find a module.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:28 PM

Last photo:

Remove the 4 screws retaining the plastic cover (with the emission control decal) on the radiator support and remove the cover. The CCRM is bolted to the left side of the rad support. The part # should be look something like this **** 12B581 ***. Should be a black 24 pin connector held on with a 10mm screw.
Yes L/front drivers side near the headlite. Its about 3" wide 5"long and 2" thick.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:51 PM

well, i finaly got the p.o.s. car,also named "ford" to run. i applied power to the module relay. nothing. i cranked it for about 8 seconds,nothing. i then added gasoline to the throttle body. it turned on! i've turned it on a few times with no problems. TIME TO SELL, before it messes up again! thanks for your help,2-manytoyzs!!
Old 11-12-2004, 09:44 PM

Last photo:

Your welcome. Glad to help. BTW the only way to tell what size tank capacity tank you have is by the part #. The dealer can decode that.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.