be respectful, or be gone - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2003, 07:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

be respectful, or be gone

Quote:
Originally posted by Chevy Thunder
you sound like a retard
Quote:
Originally posted by Chevy Thunder
don't be a f*cking old man
Quote:
Originally posted by dmorris1200
you are just an idiot!
Quote:
Originally posted by dmorris1200
annoying losers that can't mind their own business
Quote:
Originally posted by barz51
Cry me a river pansy!
Quote:
Originally posted by tm454
dumb *****

I'm sure I missed some, but I think the point is made. Allowing a mechanical discussion to degrade into personal attacks is always wrong. No excuse exists for that behavior. In particular, watching grown men act in such a manner is appalling. As the administrator of this board, the bulk of the blame can only be mine. Today, I feel ashamed to be leading this community.

I don't care if you have 1 post or 10,000 posts. I don't care if you don't even have your driver's license yet, or if you're the most knowledgeable, helpful person on the board. If you attack people personally, you won't be welcome here anymore.

That kind of behavior is for other boards, not Hotrodders.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2003, 08:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I agree man, we have a reputation to withhold.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:04 PM
Air Trans

Last photo:

Quote:
don't be a f*cking old man
That one was pointed to me and I was close to not coming back but I like the majority of the folks here and decide to give them another chance.

Thank You Jon

Joe
Old 08-16-2003, 08:10 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

I think the same thing should apply for people like KULTULZ who but in and look to antagonize me just because I told him off in the past. He had no business jumping in, quoting me (singles me out), and then playing possum. If he truly just had a problem with the posting here he should have just started a new thread in the Lounge voicing a general complaint and not made it personal. I will not apologize for my opinions and if my posting is unnacceptable remove my membership. I will not sit quiet while others verbally attack me telling me to take medication. I don't care how politely they word it, to me it is no better.
Jon I would also like to remind you that it was your idea to run hotrodders in such an open forum after separating from RBBO. When you eliminated Roys method of viewing members credentials (car photos, etc.) to at least establish we weren't responding to a fifth grader making up stories cause he's board you opened the door for what I will call 'troll alert'. We have seen so much (HRK, Slanty, LoudMalibu, etc.) that many older members have resorted to a type of hazing or initiation of newcomers to see if they're legit. I don't mind taking time away from my family to help a fellow car guy out, but it's nice to at least know that the problem is legit and you're not just wasting time. I think there are advantages to running things openly like you have here but it also allows for a lot of BS. Like I already stated, if my opinions are not welcome here delete my membership login. I can always go back to spending the many hours a week I spend here enjoying my family.

Last edited by dmorris1200; 08-16-2003 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:39 PM

Last photo:

everyone involved should just take a step back revisit and read there replies to each other. i think it will be obvious that some of it was a bit overkill. but some of the people involved are obviously and integral and important part of this board it would be ashame
to lose them to a argument.....just a opinion...........................
Old 08-16-2003, 08:45 PM
banned

I can't say anything... I have been one of the worst... but I am turning over a new leaf... so I will just shut up and continue doin what I planned
Old 08-16-2003, 09:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

thank you, Jon.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

dmorris1200 -- The same rules do apply to everyone here. That is one thing we didn't have when the RBBO was around. The fact that I'm willing to call out a moderator for what I feel was inappropriate behavior is a demonstration of that. A moderator receiving the same treatment as a member is something you would not see in most forums. I'm also well aware of the bad blood between you and KULTULZ. I don't know where/how/why it started, but I think there have been situations where you both have acted inappropriately. The discussion in question also involved inappropriate behavior that was unrelated to the issues between you and KULTULZ, and it was already out of hand before he stepped in. Either way, it's academic. I exchanged PM's with KULTULZ earlier today, the result of which was him respectfully notifying me that, in light of these events, he would prefer not to be involved with this community.

I'm well aware of the ramifications of shining a spotlight on this situation, and I realize that it may cause members to leave. Nevertheless, I think that it warrants administrative intervention, and that sweeping it under the rug would be a big mistake.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:44 PM
a.k.a. Rusty Shackelford

Last journal entry: Another one
Last photo:

Did I spell pansy right? :P

I'm sorry I offended you Jon. I would hate to see this great forum go down the drain because of some stupid tiff.

I was just a little put off that some one would start a thread just to whine about a little argument. MK2TMR2 and I have gotten into it before pretty heavy. I pm'd him an apology and he pm'd me one back, we worked it out. Now if I have any questions about turbos or MR2's he is the first one I ask. People have to work things out for themselves.

I read the original post and I agree that some people jumped the gun and kind of freaked out. I just can't see starting a thread about your feelings being hurt on an online forum and expecting a hug or something.

I apologize once again, hopefully this will not turn into a big hoop-la

Cory
Old 08-16-2003, 11:14 PM
Crazy Canadian, woohooooo!

Last photo:

Why don't we all apply the wisdom of Pierre Elliot Trudeau:

"You can attack the belief, but never the individual."

Basically, it's one thing to trash someones idea, but don't go around trashing the person.

Marc
Old 08-17-2003, 12:17 AM
banned

LOL.... lets all attack Jon and get kicked off the site (just buggin ya Jon)
Old 08-17-2003, 07:00 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Arrow

I ,for one, am sorry to hear that KULTULZ is leaving the board. We had an encounter or 2 in the past ,but got over it and correspond on a semi-regular basis now. I don't know the issues that exist with him and dmorris1200 and won't comment, I think they have both added to the board. I will say that I agree with much of what dmorris said, it is obvious when someone comes on and has little or no experience and starts giving advice they don't possess, something that is of no help to those needing assistance or the reputation of the board.I have personally had encounters with a few and took it to the PM's instead of the threads, one of them recently was cautioned about printing other peoples material by Jon. I'm not sure how to remedy the problem, and because I'm on several other boards, I know it goes on there as well. It is dealt with there in much the same way that dmorris referred to with the hazing.When someone comes on and nothing is known about them it is a defensive mechanism that make us want to be sure the board isn't being overrun by "trolls" (although I still am unsure of what that exactly means). If I recall correctly ,I probably got a little hazing when I first appeared and I didn't take it personally,nor did I leave. I think it's fair for newcomers to feel like they are being scrutinized when they start giving out info, that way they won't be so quick to talk out their *****, but I do try and stay away from personality attacks, just technicality.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:15 AM

I can't stand when people are comunicating on threads and all of a sudden someone slams everyone with a post that just pisses you off.

Most of us are talking about what we have learned thru experiance as we continue to enjoy cars, trucks and other vehicles. Most of us know when someone does not have a clue about the subject matter. But, we do have the right to correct the information (politly) which could cause someone to do the wrong mod or fix to their vehicle.

Fill
Old 08-17-2003, 08:29 AM
Distracted by shiny objects

Last photo:

I think Jon has handled things appropriatley. It shouldn't matter if the person in question is a Mod or longstanding member or what, if they get out of hand they need to be reminded of the rules of decorum. If you are a Mod you should be especially careful with what you say, remember this is like email, very impersonal and easily taken out of context.

Let's all just play nice.

Chickie.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:57 AM

I'm fairly new to this forum, but have been on a couple where the trolls, constant flaming and bickering got so bad that it just wasn't worth it anymore. It was like walking through a cesspool to get to the garden.
This is one of two forums that I look forward to going to everyday. There's plenty of likeable people who either need automotive information or have the knowledge to help someone else. That's the advantage of a forum like this.
Trolls come and go...high school will be back in session soon and things will calm down.
Thanks Jon for taking a stand!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.