which respirator with 2k primer? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2005, 12:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
The key to using a carbon respirator while spraying paint containing isocyonates is "in air" concentration. If you are using only a cartridge type respirator long enough to paint a car in a non ventilated garage you are probably getting a dose of isocyonates. A dual cartridge carbon respirator will become saturated in a very short time in a high concentration area. Due to the fact that isocyonates are odorless you will not realize it. Changing the filters when you can sense a restriction is not good enough when dealing with isocyonates, IMO it's too late by that time.

The filter manufactures intentionally disallow isocyonates as a disclaimer to avoid possibility of a lawsuit due to the nasty nature of isocyonates.

Vince
This is exactly right. Niosh rates the charcoal filters as OK for ISO's but the manufacturers say no for lawsuit reasons. Also if in an enclosed not ventilated area you better be covered head to toe.
The normal paint booth or open garage the dual cartages work just fine, goggles are always a good idea.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2005, 12:59 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

BarryK,

Willys touched on this but hopefully you can shed some additional light. What, exactly, IS on the horizon for automotive paints in terms of providing a product that isn't going to poison the painter or the environment? And how far off is that horizon?

I have been considering an actual paint job on the rat rod once it is done. If I stay with the primer look I'm going to use one part flat enamel. And if I go with a color I'm seriously thinking about cheapo acrylic enamel or acrylic lacquer. Seems like the lessor of the evils to me in terms of safety. The enamel is unforgiving and the lacquer is a lot more work and less durable (plus has some bad side effects as well)...but for the hobbyist without an air fed respirator, full body suit, and perfectly ventilated paint booth, it just seems like the safer choice.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:47 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=cboy]BarryK,

Willys touched on this but hopefully you can shed some additional light. What, exactly, IS on the horizon for automotive paints in terms of providing a product that isn't going to poison the painter or the environment? And how far off is that horizon?

Well in short, long after you and I are gone.

Uv cured, Waterborne they are touted as safer because they don't have iso's
but its a trade off with the other chemicals used. In my book they're not a bit safer.
Back about 3 years ago Randy Wein wrote a one pager in ABRN about how unsafe waterborne were and had put a lot of study into this for about 6 months before he wrote it and the majors threaten to pull advertising unless he was banned, remember a full page ad is $15,000 per issue, yes he was banned. Bad timing because at the time PPG was pushing the water-basecoat
fro ICI they had purchased as safe, safe and safe.

Stick your finger in urethane reducer and 15 seconds later it will show up in a urine test.
I just don't see anything major coming down the pike, Most of the RDC money is going to the UV cured products but there are major problems and expense issues so for now maybe small spots of primer but the home doer is not going to spend $1500 for a lamp to cure a 1 foot section.
Is it safer, other than less over spray, I done think it is.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I have to die of something anyway and am going to enjoy life in the mean time. I will continue spraying whatever w/ my nifty 3-M charcoal filter in my 3000cfm evacuated paint booth.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:12 PM

Last photo:

yea iso's are pretty nasty stuff, but I don't have enough for a fresh air supply hood yet. so what exactly is the chromate free 2k primer different from the other 2k primers from HOK? do these have Iso's ? Also the primer sealer ,ko-seal 2 has iso's in it? I have contacted HOK about msds sheets but no replys.

between the hok 2k primers which is safer:
KP-2CF KWIKURE EPOXY PRIMER (chromate free)
KP-21 KWIKURE EPOXY PRIMER

and theres also two ko-seal II sealers, one is 2.1 voc and the other is 4.58 voc

heres the link to the different HOK products link
Old 04-07-2005, 08:38 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Iso's a really only used in Clear's.
They are strongest when in their free nomer state which is when you open their container and are pouring into the cup.So use a resp WHEN mixing.
A regular respirator is fine for shooting anything other than them.
Chromates and such are additives which are kinda nasty in their own right but no where near the caliber of ISO's.
Young people believe they are indestructible and can breath straight acid fumes and rock on the next day,myself included,BUT,
IT WILL CATCH UP WITH YOU.
I'm paying the price now for my misguided youth and TRUST ME on this...

Take CARE of YOURSELF NOW and you won't regret it later.

I have basically spent the last 3 weeks fighting a upper respiratory infection due primarily in part ot my job (Sheetmetal change out work,DUST<MOLD) along with grinding,sanding,welding on the 59 mostly without a mask of sorts.
3 trips to the doctor and several prescriptions later,I'm back to normal,sort of.

I know better but still I persist in being an idiot some days.

Get a mask ,ANY mask, and keep yourself healthy to get that ride finished in timely fashion. Nothing worse than laying in bed sick WISHING you were working on the project instead.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:08 PM

Last photo:

First, I know nothing about the house of color primers as they are not the same thing as when John owned the company.

I assume you are talking about "lead Chromate" did not know they offered it but although going back 20 years it has been removed from most products we spray there are still yellows, some reds and orange colors that have them.

No body take this the wrong way, as I believe in protecting yourself as much as anyone but i spent over 10 years spray chromate loaded products like a lot of the old folks have on here and its not something thats is going to do you in with one time use (WITH A RESPIRATOR) it builds in your system over time like ISO'S do. Yes if in a closed up room with a lot of iso's and no mask you could die but we don't paint in closed up rooms with no airflow.

Will you shoot this epoxy one time a year?
If you don't smoke and spend a night at a bar and smoke a pack of cigs, will you get cancer?
Not likely!

Spray in a place with airflow and wear a good respirator and if you can afford it buy a fresh air system but as often as us part-timers paint if we use common sense its really not a problem.

Perhaps this is the last person a statement like this should come from and I'm not trying to kill anyone here, just trying to point out that over exposure to anything can kill you or cause cancer and gas is a good example "can cause cancer" By filling up you car everyday? No, but play in it 8 hours a day and it can.

Probably would have been better off not to have written this but hope you understand what I'm trying to say.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:06 AM

Last photo:

yes allot of people don't realize how bad the auto paintis. I will be painting probably 2 bikes when still using a charchol respirator (new cartridge each time) after that I will have enough profit to buy the sata air hood and thier filtration system, and also a homade 10x10 spraybooth. but hopefully I will be up to 4 bikes a month.

They have one primer called KP-21 which doesnt say it has chromates but then thiers also one thats chromate free for just a little more money. From what I've gathered so far the primers don't have Iso's but the sealers do because they use the same catalyst as the clears (ku-150??) but from a recent study by OSHA they say that the masks will filter Iso's

quote:
"Isocyanate exposures were generally below the various evaluation criteria. One sample did exceed the NIOSH ceiling RELs indicating a need for protective measures. NIOSH recommends air supplied respirators whenever there is the potential for exposure to isocyanates. There are no NIOSH approved air-purifying respirators for isocyanates because isocyanates have no odor warning properties to indicate breakthrough of the cartridge. Studies have shown that combination dust/mist and organic cartridges effectively stop isocyanates and that the various solvents, particularly n-butyl acetate, will break through the cartridge long before the isocyanates.32-34 Therefore, the combination dust/mist/organic air-purifying respirators should provide adequate protection against the small amounts of isocyanate present and the n-butyl acetate odor can be used to indicate breakthrough of the cartridges. Eye and skin protection also needs to be provided with isocyanate monomers."

just some food for thought
Old 04-08-2005, 06:53 AM

Last photo:

if its a catalyzed urethane (primer or clear) it will have iso's. epoxy, like the kp-21 is a whole different ballgame and doesn't have it.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.