responsibility or fun...what a head scratcher - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Its just metal,you're the boss

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

responsibility or fun...what a head scratcher

so, Ive got the opportunity to pick up a 2000 husquarvana 125, with after market go fast parts, pro circuit pipe, renthal bars, and some other things i didn't catch. the kid said the motor was sent out to pro circuit and redone before he bought it. but at any rate, he wants 1000 dollars, which i thought was a pretty good deal that i probably wont find again. pending my inspection of the machine of course.

I love dirt bikes, and would like very much to have this one. it would be a nice update from my current bike, a 1979 yz 250, good shape, pretty snappy, and a classic, but bulky and hard to handle and get parts for. i could sell my current bike, the 79 and use that money for the new bike, but its a neat old bike, and im thinking if i hang on to it long enough it will be worth something.
So here are my options

A) buy the new bike, sell the old one and see if i can almost break even

B) buy the new bike, keep the old one as my retirement plan and be a little short on funds until summer when i can start working full time again

C) don't buy the bike, save the money for college classes, books, tools and various car parts.

im up in the air on this one and any input is welcome. i should say by nature im a pretty impulsive buyer and im trying to think this one out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2007, 05:38 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

First of all, I raced bikes until I was 36 years young and enjoyed 99% of them at the time. As I have aged, all the old injuries have become a quality of life issue and am stating to regret all the fun I had. The Bultacos andHuskys of old were my favorites, but at 185 pounds, the 125 was not in my stable. The 250 was my favorite machine and produced all the horsepower I could handle. In my final years of racing, I rode 250s in the Open Class and finished in the top 3 most of the time. Many times, the competition asked me to stay in the 250 class, but I reminded them of the class rules: open class was just that and no restrictions on smaller than 300 and no one was dumb enough to go over 500 in those days.

Having said all this, I never let any family needs slip for my hobby nor did I let my hobby interfere with my family needs. So I would suggest you go with Option C and enjoy the old 250. You can get more power out of it than you ever will out of the 125, but the newer suspension may let you be able to use all of the 125 power where as you will have to upgrade the old 250 to start using all of its power.

Trees
Old 03-21-2007, 06:24 PM

Last photo:

well, im 19 so i dont realy have family needs persay.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:59 PM

Last journal entry: Roller Rockers
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Sometimes, you have to remember to treat the hobby as a hobby and not a priority. It's a real hard thing to do, but being responsible with your money and responsibilities will ALWAYS win out in the end.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:01 PM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

If memory serves me correctly, Husky was bought out by someone else and is really no longer a "Husky".

I wouldn't buy it personally.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:44 AM

Last photo:

yah...you guys are right, responsibility the one to go with, i still might see if i can sell the old bike for 800 or so and then only have a few hundred into the new one, i know a guy that collects motorcycles, so i can go visit it and kick myself in 30 years when its worth three times what i sold it for.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:29 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

C. Save for college.

20 years from now, its just an old bike with little market value. The college education you got is now affording you the opportunities to buy NEW bikes as you want them.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:43 AM

Last photo:

Trees, I started out on an "OSSA", then went to a "CAN-AM". The Can-Am had a bombardier motor and was stupid fast, but only about 4 inches of travel. It was a more dangerous sport back then I believe. Fun, but dangerous.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:30 PM
MOPAR Guy

Last journal entry: Restoration of my Chrysler
Last photo:

I weigh 165 pounds and in my opinion a 125 isn't enough. My dirtbike is a 600, and for me it's just right. I'm not a wild rider, I just don't like to pull the throttle wide open to get the job done.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:07 PM

Last photo:

trust me, i like power. and i weigh about the same as you, 160 pounds. and im told a 2 stroke 125 will have enough get up and go to put a smile on my face. im going to try to take the bike for a spin this wekeend. bearing in mind i do alot of woods and trail riding, so i dont need to go 65-70 mph.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.